Graduate or professional students may apply for the credit-based Direct Graduate PLUS Loan from the U.S. Department of Education to help cover educational expenses.
To receive a Graduate PLUS Loan, you must:
- be a graduate or professional student enrolled at least halftime at an eligible school in a program leading to a graduate or professional degree or certificate;
- not have an adverse credit history; and
- meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid.
Complete the Direct PLUS Loan Application for Graduate/Professional Students online at StudentLoans.gov.
Applications are available beginning May 1 for the following academic year.
Before PLUS loan funds are received, the student will be required to complete:
- The PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Graduate/Professional Students – A legal document in which you promise to repay your federal loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to your lender.
- Entrance Counseling – Be sure to select “I am a graduate or professional student”, which fulfills counseling requirements for both the Direct Stafford and Direct PLUS Loans.