Financial Aid Office

Year-Round Pell Q & A

Q. What is Year –Round Pell?

A.  A Federal Grant Program which enables eligible students to receive 150% of their Federal Pell Grant funds in one academic year. This eligibility is effective beginning the 2017-18 academic year.

Q. Will I be eligible for Year-Round Pell?

A. If you meet all Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements and have at least 75% of your lifetime Pell Grant eligibility remaining at the end of fall semester, 2017 you will be awarded a Federal Pell Grant for

Summer semester, 2018 at CSU.

Q. How do I know if I have at least 75% lifetime eligibility remaining?

A. You can check for your remaining eligibility level online by logging on to https:/

 using your FSA ID and view your Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU) on the Financial Aid Review page.

Q. When will I know if I am eligible for Year-Round Pell?

A. Cleveland State University will make initial awards beginning in October, 2017 to allow you to plan your summer semester enrollment.

In April, we will confirm your eligibility.   The available amount will be calculated based on your Pell Grant eligibility and remaining Pell.

Q. How much will I receive in Year-Round Pell?

A. A student will be initially awarded Federal Pell Grant based on Full time enrollment (12 or more credits).

The Pell grant amount will be adjusted in May prior to the start of summer semester classes based on your enrollment level.

Enrollment levels are defined in the following manner: 9, 10 or 11 credits=75% of the semester Pell grant amount, 6,7 or 8 credits=50% of the semester Pell Grant amount.

Q. Is there a minimum number of credits that I must enroll for in the summer?

A. Students should plan on registering for at least six credits during the summer semester?

Q. Do I have to register for all the classes during the first summer session?

A. You may register for classes for both summer sessions and your Pell Grant amount will be determined based on the combined credit hours during both summer sessions.

Q. Will my Pell Grant be reduced if I complete the first summer session classes and then drop, withdraw or do not successfully complete the second summer session?

A. It is possible that you could owe back to CSU all or part of your Federal Pell Grant if you do not successfully complete classes that you registered for in the second summer session even if you successfully complete classes in the first summer session. The amount you may owe will be calculated based on the drop date, the number of credits and the last day that you attended classes.


An example of how Year-Round Pell (YRP) works.

A student with a Zero Expected Family Contribution is eligible for $5920 in Pell grant for the year,

or $2960 for the fall semester and $2960 for the spring semester. Under the YRP program, this student could receive an additional $2960 for the summer semester, 2018 if they enrolled full-time (12 credits) or a

maximum of $8,880 for the entire academic year.

If the student enrolled half-time (six credits) summer semester, the student would receive a $1480

Federal Pell Grant, or one-half of a full disbursement.

Important facts to note:

The maximum timeframe that students may receive Federal Pell Grant is the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters. One full-time semester of Pell equals 50%.

Eligible students may receive up to three Pell disbursements in one academic year.

Pell grant alone is not enough to cover the full cost of attending classes in the summer.

Many students use their full loan eligibility over the fall and spring semesters, leaving nothing available for summer. If possible, students should reserve some of their annual federal loan eligibility for the summer.

Students may also sign up for the free Budget Payment Plan.