Financial Aid

Student Aid FAQ's

Can I receive federal financial aid if I enroll less than full-time?

  • Yes. If you are enrolled at least half-time (defined by CSU as 6 credit hours), you may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, Direct Loan, PLUS (parent) loan, Federal SEOG, Ohio College Opportunity Grant, and Work-Study employment assistance. If you enroll less than half-time (1-5 credit hours), you may still qualify for the Federal Pell Grant.

Can financial aid be used to cover the cost of classes that are being audited?

  • No. Audited classes are not counted toward your enrollment status for financial aid.

What kind of financial aid is available to graduate students?

  • Graduate students are eligible for Federal loans, Federal Work-Study and assistantships. Please visit the Graduate Studies site for more information.

What is an EFC?

  • EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution.  This figure is determined by the Department of Education from the income and asset data you entered on your FAFSA. It is a reflection of your family's financial strength. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used all schools to calculate the amount of federal student aid you are eligible to receive.

How do I find out how much financial aid I am eligible for?

  • After CSU receives your FAFSA and (if you are selected) the FAFSA verification process has been completed, you will be issued an award notification listing the types of aid you have been offered. A mailed letter or email will instruct you how to access the Financial Aid tab in CampusNet to view your awards.

Does receiving a scholarship affect my federal financial aid eligibility?

  • Sometimes. You are not permitted to receive financial assistance in excess of the total cost of attending CSU. Therefore, if you qualify for a scholarship after having been awarded federal financial aid, some of your federal assistance (usually loan eligibility) may have to be reduced. If this occurs, you will be notified immediately. Read more frequently asked questions regarding scholarships.

The total amount of financial aid I'm receiving is greater than tuition charges on my account. What happens to the extra money?

  • Any remaining funds available after all your tuition and fees have been paid will be released back to you. You may view this amount after disbursement by going to CampusNet and selecting the Account tab. If you see an amount in parenthesis ( ), that is your excess, or refund, amount. The Office of Treasury Services issues refunds twice a week. If you have questions or concerns about your refund, contact Campus411 All-in-1 in Berkman Hall Rm. 116, call 216.687.5411 or 888.CSU.OHIO, or email

How do I receive summer financial aid?

  • Students may use remaining Federal Pell Grant and Direct Loan eligibility, which requires minimum enrollment of 6 credit hours, for summer study. Campus-based aid (SEOG, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study), State Grants (OCOG), and Institutional Grants/Scholarhips (Residence Hall Grant) are not available for the summer semester.
  • Students applying for summer financial aid should finalize their registration by the first of May. To have your eligibility evaluated, please contact Campus411 All-in-1 at 216-687-5411, or email at
  • Summer semester is considered the last semester of our academic year. Financial aid is based on your remaining eligibility from your current FAFSA results.

What aid is available for Visiting Students (non-degree, visiting, and transient) in the summer semester?

  • Visiting (non-degree, visiting, and transient) students who are enrolling at CSU in the summer are not eligible for CSU administered financial aid, including alternative/private loans. Visiting students should consult their home institution for aid eligibility. You should make payment arrangements with CSU, such as the Budget Payment Plan, which you may sign up for on CampusNet. For more information about payment options visit the Treasury Services website

I have a brother and a sister who also attend college. Does this impact my federal financial aid eligibility?

  • Yes. Be sure to include this information on your FAFSA. Your eligibility for federal assistance, as well as the eligibility of both your siblings, is adjusted due to your family having more than one dependent child attending college.

My dad lost his job several months ago and hasn't yet found employment. Can I have my financial aid eligibility recalculated?

  • Yes. Your federal financial aid eligibility for the school year is initially based on income and asset data from the prior-prior calendar year (January through December). However, if you and/or your parent(s) experience a significant change of economic circumstances during the subsequent calendar year, be sure to contact Campus411 All-in-1 in Berkman Hall Rm. 116, call 216.687.5411 or 888.CSU.OHIO, or email to inquire about a Special Circumstance Appeal. With proper documentation, your federal aid eligibility may be reevaluated and adjusted. The petition for this can be found on the Financial Aid Forms page.

Will my financial aid be affected if I drop or withdraw from a class?

  • When dropping or withdrawing from class(es), many things are reviewed to determine if it will impact your financial aid. The date of withdrawal, the amount of credit hours for the class(es), and your last date of attendance in the class(es) are all factors. Based on this information, you may be required to repay some of the grant and/or loan assistance that was credited to your CSU account for the semester. You should contact Campus411 All-in-1 in BH 116, call 216.687.5411, or email prior to dropping to find out if your aid will be affected.

I'm planning to withdraw from all of my classes at CSU. How does this impact my financial aid?

  • According to the date you officially withdrew (and/or your last date of class attendance), a portion (or all) of federal grant and loan assistance that was credited to your CSU account for the semester may have to be returned to the U.S. Treasury. If money is returned, it will create a balance on your account and you will be responsible for paying that balance to CSU.