Financial Aid Office

Loan Information FAQ's

I am transferring to CSU and have a Direct Federal Loan with my current school. Can the remaining loan money for this year be transferred to CSU?

  • No, you must cancel the remainder of your loan at your current school so that CSU can originate a new loan for you. You must notify your current school in writing that you are transferring to another school and would like to have the remainder of your loan cancelled. Be sure you notify your loan guarantor and report any changes in the anticipated graduation date. Once the remainder of the loan has been cancelled, CSU can process you new loan.

I am transferring to CSU and already have a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on file for my loans. Do I have to complete another one?

  • You only need to complete a new Master Promissory Note if you have not received loan money within the last year or if it has been 10 years since you signed one. All students must file a new MPN every 10 years. However, you will have to complete the loan entrance counseling because it is required for each school you are attending. If you do not complete your loan entrance counseling, CSU cannot disburse your loan.

What type of loans are degree seeking graduate and law students eligible for?

  • They are only eligible to receive Federal Unsubsidized loans and GradPlus loans. As of July 1, 2012, graduate and law students are no longer eligible for federal subsidized loans.

What is the GradPlus Loan?

  • The Graduate Plus (GradPlus) Loan is a federal loan program for degree-seeking graduate and law students. GradPlus Loan.