If a student did not meet the GPA standard, complete a minimum of 67% of their attempted courses in a semester, or registered for courses outside of their advisor’s degree plan, they will no longer be authorized to receive aid until they have regained compliance.
If extenuating circumstances existed, then an SAP Petition can be completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office. These situations include, but are not limited to:
- Serious injury or illness of the student or immediate family member
- An emergency situation
- Death of an immediate family member
The student must explain in the appeal the circumstances that led them to not meeting SAP, as well as provide supporting documentation including, but not limited to:
- An obituary notification or death certificate
- Physician statement or medical documentation
- Corroborating statement from an academic advisor, a faculty member or a counselor
The student must also include in the appeal what has changed in the student(s) situation that will allow them to meet SAP requirements at the next evaluation.
Students are placed on financial aid probation only if their appeal is approved. Notice of petition outcome is sent to student(s) CSU email address. The probation status is for one semester and during this time the student may continue to receive Title IV funds.
Students for whom meeting SAP minimum by the end of the semester is not possible, the student must also submit an academic plan, this plan must detail how the student will meet SAP standards, if at the student does adhere to the plan and meet the benchmarks described in the plan, the student is no longer Title IV eligible and cannot receive financial aid.
A Maximum Time Frame (MTF) appeal can be done through an academic advisor with an academic plan laying out the courses needed and the timeframe in which these courses are to be taken. After the completion of this plan, no changes can be made by either parties. A change to this plan will lead to a SAP denial.
If a federal aid suspension is initiated and the student does not file an appeal or the appeal is denied:
- No further appeal is possible (for denials); the committee’s decision is final.
- Students who wish to continue will be 100% out of pocket until requirements are met and eligibility is reestablished for future semesters.
- Your eligibility will automatically be reinstated for the next term of enrollment upon successful completion of a term of enrollment in which you meet the required SAP standards. No appeal for reinstatement is required.
SAP Petition and Forms: