The Second Chance Grant provides financial assistance in the form of $2,000 grants to eligible students re-enrolling at a qualifying institution in order to obtain a degree or credential.
Second Chance Grants are applied against the student’s cost of attendance (COA) after all need-based federal and state grants have been applied. Grants are awarded on a first-come first-serve basis.
A student is considered eligible for the Second Chance Grant if the re-enrollee:
- is a resident of the State of Ohio
- has not obtained a bachelor’s degree from any institution of higher education
- disenrolled (“stopped out”) from a qualifying institution* in Ohio and did not transfer to another institution of higher education in the two semesters immediately following the disenrollment
- was in good academic standing with no record of disciplinary issues (including suspension or expulsion) at the time of disenrollment
- completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and accepts any federal and state need-based grants and/or scholarships to which the student would be entitled as verified by the receiving institution
- is not a recipient of one of the following state-supported scholarships: Choose Ohio First Scholarship, Ohio Safety Officers College Memorial Fund, Ohio War Orphans and Severely Disabled Veterans’ Children Scholarship Program, or Ohio National Guard Scholarship
*Qualifying Institutions are defined as one of the following:
- A state institution of higher education, as defined in section 3345.011 of the Revised Code;
- A private nonprofit institution of higher education that holds a certificate of authorization pursuant to Chapter 1713. of the Revised Code;
- An institution with a certificate of registration from the Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools under Chapter 3332. of the Revised Code;
- A private institution exempt from regulation under Chapter 3332. of the Revised Code as prescribed in section 3333.046 of the Revised Code;
- An Ohio Technical Center, as defined in section 3333.94 of the Revised Code.