Financial Aid


I won't qualify for financial assistance. Why should I bother to submit a FAFSA?

  • Even though you might believe that your family's income is too high to receive financial aid, you may be eligible for low-interest federal loan assistance. Some Direct Loans are available regardless of the family income. Also, some scholarship and benefit programs require applicants to submit the FAFSA.

Do I have to be admitted to CSU before submitting the FAFSA?

  • No, your FAFSA can be completed and submitted, even if you are not yet admitted to CSU. However we will not be able to view your FAFSA application until your admission is complete.

I submitted the FAFSA last year. Why do I have to apply again this year?

  • Federal regulations require that all students reapply for federal financial aid each year. The primary reason for this is to ensure that your eligibility for assistance is based on the most up-to-date income, asset, and family information available.

I completed my FAFSA at a community college. Do I need to file another FAFSA if I transfer mid-year?

  • No, BU you'll need to add CSU to your FAFSA. You may do so by visiting and logging in to your existing application or by calling 800.4FED.AID (800.433.3243) and requesting our school code be added. If you call, you will need to provide the DRN number that is located on your Student Aid Report (SAR) report.

I'm 22 years old and haven't lived with my parents since I was in high school. Why do I have to include their information on my FAFSA?

  • If you cannot answer yes to at least one of the student Dependency Status questions, the federal regulations require that your parent(s) demographic, income and asset information be included on the FAFSA.

My parents are divorced (or separated) and neither one has remarried. Whose information do I enter on my FAFSA?

  • You would enter the information from the parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you live equally with each parent, enter the information from the parent who provided more of the financial support from the past 12 months, or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.

Must I include my stepfather's income and asset information on my FAFSA? He and my mom just got married last year.

  • If you consider your mother (rather than your father) to be the parent you have lived with more during the past 12 months, then both your mother's and stepfather's income/asset information must be included on your FAFSA, regardless of whether or not he/she wishes to assist you with your educational and living expenses.

Both of my parents are deceased and I've been living with my grandparents since I was very young. They even claimed me as an exemption on their federal tax transcripts. Should I include their income/asset information on my FAFSA?

  • No, only if they have officially adopted you. If they have, then define them as your parents and include their information on your FAFSA. If they have been your guardians (even court-appointed), then you are defined as an orphan, and only your income/asset data should be entered on your FAFSA.

My parent(s) didn't claim me as an exemption on their income tax transcript(s). Can I apply for federal financial aid using only my information?

  • Maybe, review the Dependency Status questions of your FAFSA. An answer of "no" to all of these questions means that your parent(s) income and asset data must be entered on your FAFSA. An answer of "yes" to any one of the thirteen questions means that your parent(s) data should not be entered (note, documentation supporting a "yes" answer may be requested).

My family's circumstances have changed since I submitted my FAFSA. What can I do?

  • If a significant change occurs in your family's (or your) financial situation after you submit your FAFSA, be sure to contact Campus411 All-in-1 in Berkman Hall Rm. 116, call 216.687.5411 or 888.CSU.OHIO, or email In many instances, adjustments to your federal financial aid eligibility can be approved. Examples of such instances are a loss of income, separation or divorce, and loss of benefits. Please complete a Special Circumstances form, located on the Financial Aid Forms page.