Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for both Windows and Mac.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Print, Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
Respondus Monitor™ is a companion product for LockDown Browser that enables institutions to protect the integrity of non-proctored, online exams.
Students use their own computer and a webcam to record assessment sessions, all without leaving the institution's learning management system.
How It Works
- Students start LockDown Browser, log into Blackboard and complete a brief startup sequence prior to the exam
- The student and the surrounding environment are recorded during the entire exam
- Instructors can quickly review details of the assessment, and even watch the recorded video
Why It Works
- Cheating is deterred with a low-hassle, easy-to-use system
- Students appreciate a level playing field and the ability to take exams anytime
- Administrators ensure student identity and exam integrity in distance learning environments
|LockDown Browser in Blackboard||Preparing an Exam|
|Setting Up LockDown Browser|
|Setting up LockDown Browser and Monitor|
|respondus updates and New Features|
- Windows, Mac or Chromebooks: Respondus LockDown Browser
- Note: Chromebook users will be directed to the Chrome store to install the LockDown Browser extension
- Mobile (iPad only): LockDown Browser
Getting Started With LockDown Browser/Monitor
- Information For Your Students (Word document) - This Word document can be customized to your course and should be placed in your course in an area where students will see it prior to using it for the first time. Recommended areas: Course Information, Syllabus, or the Learning Module where you will be requiring use. Remind the students to review this documentation prior to using the products. Also, it is a good idea to set up a practice quiz prior to the exam where you are requiring LockDown Browser and/or Monitor, to give the students the opportunity to use the technology.
- Specifc Course Requirements for LockDown Browser and Monitor (Word document) - This Word document contains information that can be included in your syllabus if you wish to use LockDown Browser or LockDown Browser/Monitor.