In May 2016, Faculty Senate approved Required Procedures and Recommended Practices to Address Security and Quality of Online Courses. The Center for eLearning is committed to providing resources to help faculty achieve the goals of the security and quality policy. We offer the following technologies, along with consulting for faculty, to help identify the right tools and practices to promote academic honesty in their courses.
There are 4 different types of proctoring tools available to faculty who teach online. Each tool has different levels of proctoring and/or promoting a fair testing environment:
- Respondus LockDown Browser - This tool creates an environment where a test is administered in a specialized browser that does not allow students to browse outside of the testing environment.
- Respondus Monitor - This tool allows students to record their testing environment via webcam. The video can be viewed later by the instructor.
- Honorlock- Recorded proctoring (via webcam) with live pop-in and additional features for proctoring for the testing environment.
- Turnitin - This service encourages best practices for using and citing other people’s written material.
- SafeAssign - This service helps educators prevent plagiarism by detecting unoriginal content in student papers.
- Faculty Online Teaching and Design Course (F.O.T.D.) - This course is designed to assist instructors who are new to teaching online and/or those who would like to learn more about developing a quality online course. This facilitated online course provides an orientation to teaching online at Cleveland State and focuses on best practices for designing an online course.
- Center for eLearning Training Schedule - The Center for eLearning offers numerous training opportunities on a variety of topics throughout each semester.
The Michael Schwartz Library's LEARN IT @ THE LIBRARY offers a workshop asynchronously through Blackboard. Students who complete a workshop will receive a certificate of completion and/or a digital badge.
- Don't be a Copycat: Plagiarism 101, Part I and II - Confused about what constitutes plagiarism? Struggle with writing citations? Join us at this remedial workshop for the chance to gain the skills you need to avoid the scary consequences of plagiarism.
- If you have students who are taking online courses from a distance and you will be utilizing high stakes exams, you may provide them with our sample Online Proctoring Form to complete for verification.
- Consulting Services - The Center for eLearning offers consulting services for course development, program development, media development and course reviews.