NEW: CHROMEBOOKS ARE NOW SUPPORTED!
Note: this page primarily contains student resources. If you are faculty at CSU, you can access proctoring resources at our Faculty Respondus Lockdown and Monitor webpage.
Cleveland State University uses three proctoring tools to promoting a fair testing environment for any exam offered through Blackboard. These products are:
- Respondus LockDown Browser - This tool creates an environment where a test is administered in a specialized browser that does not allow you to browse outside of the testing environment.
- Respondus Monitor - This tool, used in conjunction with LockDown Browser, will record you and your testing environment via webcam. The video can be viewed later by your instructor.
- Honorlock - Online proctoring service, integrated with Blackboard. Instructors choose parameters for testing environment.
IS&T has installed Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor on the iMacs the following locations. The labs with iMacs are also listed in the table below:
|Lab location||Number of imacs|
|UR - 39||2|
|FT - 103||1|
RT - 305 I*
*Note: Please schedule to use room at RT 301 Digital Design Studio Desk
Respondus is available on laptops in the Mobile Campus technology loan. Students borrowing laptops for off-campus use of Respondus should inform the technician at the time of check out for specific instructions regarding home use.
If you are taking online courses from a distance and need to take an exam, please complete and submit the Online Proctoring Form for verification.
- Windows, Mac and Chromebooks: Respondus LockDown Browser
- Note: Chromebook users will be directed to the Chrome store to install the LockDown Browser extension
- Mobile (iPad only): LockDown Browser
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into Blackboard, https://www.csuohio.edu/center-for-elearning/blackboard-login and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the quiz in your course. Upon completing and submitting the quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
- Faculty sometimes provide a practice quiz for students. If this is the case, this is a good opportunity for you to test drive LockDown Browser and Monitor prior to taking your quiz.
You can view Respondus' Lockdown Browser webpage for technical requirements.
In addition to the steps mentioned in the LockDown Browser section above, when taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the additional guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers)
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was tested above, repeat the Webcam and System checks prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table) — not on your lap, a bed, or other surface that might move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
You can view Respondus' Monitor webpage for technical requirements.
Honorlock Student Best Practices: https://honorlock.kb.help/honorlock-student-best-practices/
This is a quick how-to guide on starting an exam with Honorlock.