Center for International Services & Programs

Immigration Document Information

There is an immigration law in existence regarding the need for "aliens" to carry INS documentation at all times. The law reads as follows:

NOTE: INA Section 264(e) states - Every alien, 18 years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than 30 days or both.

We are recommending that students and their spouses carry the following documents at all times:

  1. The true "student copy" of your Form I-20 if you are an F-1 or Form DS 2019 if you are a J-1
  2. Photo copy of your passport ID pages and visa page
  3. Notice of Action (Form I-797) if you changed status in the U.S.
  4. Photo copy of your Form I-94 card

If you would like your spouse to have her/his own student copy of an Form I-20, please request that a "dependent Form I-20" be made by contacting our office.

If you have any questions about this information, please schedule an appointment via our online system.