Center for International Services & Programs

Curricular Practical Training

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

DHS (Department of Homeland Security) defines Curricular Practical Training as employment that is an integral or important part of your curriculum. For example, this may be an internship, a thesis, or required practicum.  You must receive academic credit for the work experience during the same semester that you are using CPT.

  • The DHS defines full-time employment as work more than 20 hours per week.
  • Registered full-time students may not exceed 20 hours of employment per week.
  • It is possible to work full-time if you are not registered as a full-time student. This should occur only in summer semester or near the end of your program of study.
  • Curricular Practical Training is not designed for permanent or long-term work opportunities.
  • The work period should be as close to the beginning and ending dates of the semester as possible
  • An “incomplete” grade does NOT allow you to continue to work or to work between semesters.
  • Student enrolled at CSU are not eligible for CPT 12 months of CPT.  All programs at CSU have a limited number of CPT opportunities.

    • Business student have only 1 internship elective in their program of study.
    • MCIS student have only 2 credits of internship.
    • Engineering students must show proof of that the internship is integral for degree completion.
    • Nursing, Education, Social Work, and Psychology students are eligible for 2 or more semesters of part time CPT.

Permission is granted and reported by the Designated School Official (DSO) to the DHS in SEVIS.

Basic eligibility

1.       You must be maintaining lawful F-1 status.

2.       You must have been a full time student for at least one academic year.

3.       You must meet good academic progression and academic standards under the University Guidelines.

4.       You must not have I’s or X’s on your current CSU transcript.

5.       The proposed employment must be an integral part of your studies

6.       You must have a job offer in writing from an employer

7.       You must be registered for an academic course that requires an out of the classroom experience (i.e. practicum, student teaching, field experience, internship, etc...)