CPT AND ACADEMIC COURSES
- You must be registered full time during Fall and Spring semester including the CPT required course.
- Graduate students must maintain 9 credit hours
- Undergraduate students must maintain 12 credit hours
- This can only be waived if you are completing CPT in the Summer or it is your last semester and you need 1 or 2 courses to complete the degree.
How much CPT can I use?
- CPT available for each level of education you pursue
- Student may request multiple CPT authorizations during each level
- Must continue to make normal progress toward completion of degree
- 365 days of full-time CPT eliminates Optional Practical Training (OPT) benefits
- Part time CPT does not eliminate Optional Practical Training (OPT) benefits
How do I count CPT used?
- Part-time: 19 or fewer hours each week
- Full-time: More than 20 hours each week
- Each week: Not average hours worked per week, but hours worked each week
- All days: Count work days, weekends, holidays, vacation days, time outside the U.S. during CPT