24-month STEM OPT Extension
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for all questions regarding STEM OPT.
When to apply:
Students with a STEM degree and currently in the 12-month OPT period:
- USCIS must receive your STEM OPT extension application before your current 12-month OPT EAD card expiration date.
- Apply as early as 90 days before your current 12-month OPT EAD card expiration date.
- Take into consideration:
- CISP needs 7-10 business days for processing your new I-20.
- Allow sufficient time to mail your application to USCIS.
How to apply:
Students with a STEM degree currently in the 12-month OPT period:
STEP 1: Confirm your 12-month OPT information is correct
- Is your 12-month OPT information up-to-date? Check the SEVP Portal.
- If your current address and employment information is correct, proceed to Step 2 below.
If your current address and employment information is not correct, update your current address on CampusNet account and submit an OPT Employment Reporting form to CISP by logging into CISP TD Portal.
CISP must ensure the 12-month OPT information in your SEVIS record is accurate and updated before processing your STEM OPT I-20 request.
STEP 2: Review carefully all infomation of STEM OPT Extension posted at CISP website: please know that it is your responsibility to understand and follow all the rules and requirements of STEM OPT Extension by throughly reviewing all the information provided at CISP website.
Step 3: Complete all required application requirements.
- Gather and complete the following documents:
* Please click the following links to closely review the I-983 and I-765 form tips to fill out your I-983 and I-765 correctly without any errors. If your submitted forms show erros, therefore need a revision, it would cause a 7-10 business day delay in your STEM Extension application process: I-983 form tips & I-765 form tips
Submit the online STEM OPT Extension Application to CISP by logging into CISP TD Portal with the documents above to request for STEM OPT Extension recommended I-20 to CISP.
Allow 7-10 business days for processing your I-20. CISP adviser will review your request and issue a new, updated I-20 with a STEM OPT Extension recommendation printed on the back page.
* If you want to file for STEM Extension OPT application online with USCIS, you can upload your online I-765 draft snapshop that you filled out in your myUSCIS account, instead of paper version of I-765. To see, where you can download your online I-765 draft snapshop in myUSCIS account, click this link. But, please know that you MUST receive a signed STEM Extension OPT Recommended I-20 from CISP advisor and upload it to your STEM Extension OPT I-765 applicaion BEFORE submitting your application to USCIS through myUSCIS account. If not, your application will be denied by USCIS.
Step 4: Obtain STEM OPT Extension Recommended Form I-20 from CISP advisor and prepare your application (Again, please know that first you must obtain STEM OPT Extension Endorsed I-20 from CISP, althouth you want to file your STEM OPT Extension application online with USCIS).
Step 5: File your application online with USCIS or Mail your STEM OPT Extension application packet to the USCIS via Express Mail (click here for details).