Office of the University Registrar

Transient Student Information

Transient students are currently working toward a degree at another university or college and would like to take courses at Cleveland State and have the credits transferred back to their home school. This status is ideal for students home for the summer who are looking to get ahead or catch up on the degree program at their home school.


To apply for transient student status, fill out the form here.

For the best experience with the Transient Student form, one of the following browsers is recommended:

  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
  • Microsoft Edge (EdgeHTML 13 and greater)
  • Mozilla Firefox 17 and greater
  • Safari 5.1 and greater,
  • Google Chrome 10 and greater

If you are having trouble with the online transient application above due to browser compatibility issues, please complete and submit the paper based form here.

The University Registrar will contact students via email regarding the status of their request for transient student status.


Eligibility Requirements

Students are eligible to enroll at Cleveland State as a transient student and are exempt from the formal application process if they:

  • are currently an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking student at another college or university,
  • are in good academic standing at their home institution,
  • have obtained written permission from their home institution to attend Cleveland State on a transient basis, and
  • have successfully completed any applicable prerequisites for the course(s) in which they wish to enroll.


  • Transient registration does not imply acceptance to the University as a degree-seeking student.
  • Financial aid is not available for transient students.
  • Academic department approval, or proof that course requisites have been met, may be required to register, particularly for 300- and 400-level (junior- and senior-level) courses.
  • Transient student enrollment can occur once open enrollment has started for a given term. Transient students are subject to the same registration (add/drop) and academic standing policies that apply to degree-seeking students.
  • Fees are not charged for placement examinations.

If you have questions, contact the University Registrar at 216.687.5411 or