Office of the University Registrar

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Courses

An undergraduate student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Cleveland State University may be granted permission to take one or more (maximum of nine credit-hours) graduate courses at the 500 level if the student meets all the following conditions:

  1. The student must be within 30 hours of graduation.
  2. The student must have an overall grade point of 2.75 or better through the preceding semester.
  3. The student must have a 3.00 or better grade-point average in the major field.
  4. The student must obtain permission from his or her adviser, the instructor of the course, and the department chair, via signature on the Undergraduate Request for Graduate Course form.

An undergraduate student who is deficient in any of the above respects may not take a graduate course without the approval of the academic dean of the college where the course is offered and the graduate dean. Undergraduate students may not register for 600- to 800-level graduate courses.

Credit for these courses, up to a maximum of nine credits for courses where the grade received is B or above, may be applied at a later point to a graduate degree program provided that the credit was not used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements. Internal transfer of credit is subject to Graduate College transfer credit regulations.

Post-baccalaureate and non-degree students enrolled at the undergraduate level may not register for graduate-level classes.