PDF icon Guidelines Booklet Includes more information to help students through the application process. After gaining approval to study abroad as a CSU student on an affiliate or exchange program, students then apply for admission to their selected program.


CSU students must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria in order to be approved for education abroad. Depending on the study abroad program type, there may be additional admission requirements.

  • Current degree-seeking student in good academic and conduct standing at CSU.
    -     2.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or higher (3.0 or higher if graduate-level); may not be on warning or probation.
    -     Clear conduct record as determined by the Office of Student Conduct and Advocacy, Student Life. Students may not have any current sanctions in violation of the Student Conduct Code including: recommendation of expulsion, recommendation of suspension, disciplinary probation, reprimand, restitution, restriction, community service, counseling, holds, or other which could prevent success abroad. Any previous sanctions will also be taken into account. 
  • Successfully completed one (1) semester at CSU if a transfer student or two (2) semesters if new first-year student.
  • In good standing with the Bursar’s Office.
  • Enrolled full-time at CSU in the semesters immediately prior to and during the education abroad experience.
  • College Credit Plus and Project 60 students will be considered on a case-by-case basis for CSU Faculty-led Programs Abroad (FLPA).

As part of the general review process, the following items are considered:

  • Location and General Safety of the Education Abroad Program and hosting nation:
          - applications for programs located in countries where the U.S. Department of State has an Advisory Level 3 or 4 will be reviewed by the International Travel Review Committee. CSU students should not presume that education abroad participation is a given in these localities. CSU reserves the right to bar participation in certain study abroad sites or localities. In general, travel to a Level 4 destination is not permitted.
  • U.S. Department of State Advisory level (or similar government announcement e.g. Centers' for Disease Control)
  • The applicant's general preparedness for the Education Abroad experience (ex: foreign language capability (if needed); at the appropriate academic level, etc.)
  • Senior Class Standing
        - Note: Without exception, any undergraduate with 90 credits or more must complete a fast-track petition to be exempted from the “senior residency rule” unless residency credit is earned via the education abroad program (CSU exchanges or faculty-led programs only).
  • Institutional standing and reputation of the foreign university, college, or school issuing a transcript for education abroad program credit transfer
         - The academic institution must be accredited by the Ministry of Education.

Senior Residency Requirement

Any undergraduate student in their senior year (above 90 credits) seeking to study abroad through an affiliate (program provider or direct enrollment option),  earning study abroad transfer credit at CSU,  must complete a University Petition that is 'fast tracked" (not a fast-tracked petition) through their College adviser for an exemption to the senior residency rule. Information regarding the residency requirement can be obtained from the University Regulations section of the Undergraduate Catalog and from their adviser.

Senior standing is reached whenever an undergraduate student has earned 90 or more credit hours. Please consult the Class Rank section of the Undergraduate Catalog for more details.

The University Petition consists of:
1. University Petition Form (available from a professional academic adviser in the College Advising Office)
2. statement from the student (approximately a paragraph) about why they wish to study abroad in their senior year
3. statement of support (two or three sentences) from the chairperson or undergraduate program director of the student's major department (or Advisor) stating that the student's graduation plan will not be negatively impacted and that the tentative course selection/experience will enhance the student's program of study
4. letter of support for study abroad in the senior year from the CISP education abroad adviser

These four items should be collected by the College academic advisor (professional adviser in the College Advising Office) who will in turn submit the documentation to the Office of the University Registrar for processing. This University Petition does not go before the committee, it is fast-tracked and automatically approved when received.

last updated 9/15/2016