These accounts may be requested by a faculty / staff member only
Departmental / Shared Mailbox
A Shared Mailbox in Office 365 can be used by multiple users to read and send email messages. This type of account is ideal when the email sent and received is not directed towards any specific individual, but meant for an individual, or pool of individuals representing a department, college, student organization or a specific project. An example of this would be the email address email@example.com. This Shared Mailbox is monitored by multiple employees in the Dining Services group.
A Shared Mailbox is not assigned a username and password. Instead, users will login to Office 365 using their CSU credentials and then access the shared mailbox.
A Shared Mailbox cannot have a forwarding address assigned to it.
Shared Mailboxes will be listed in the Global Address List.
If after one year of no activity the account will be deactivated, after a notice is sent to the person listed as the contact inquiring as to the account’s status.
Once a year we verify the contact information associated with a departmental account. If we are unable to verify the information, or the individual is no longer associated with the university, the account will be locked. In order to have the account unlocked, a faculty / staff member must call the IST Help Desk at (216) 687-5050 and provide them with the name and email address of the new contact person.
To request a Shared Mailbox contact the IS&T Help Desk at (216) 687-5050 and supply them with the information listed below. Note: when requesting an email address, the only special characters that are permitted as part of the address are a period (.) or a hyphen (-) and they cannot be the first or last character of the address.
When submitting a request the following information will be required:
- Requested email address
- Common name to be associated with the account (think of this as the first and last name)
- Name and email address of individual who will be listed as the account custodian. This person will coordinate with IS&T email admins to specify Shared Mailbox Members - CSU employees (and possibly students) who have access to the Shared Mailbox. The account custodian will be the primary contact should an issue ever arise concerning the account. This person must be a CSU faculty / staff member.
Room and Equipment calendars in Office 365 are used to manage reservations for physical resources. The most common example is a conference room.
The ability to schedule time on these calendars can be controlled and limited to specific individuals.
These accounts are assigned an email address.
When a person reserves a time in a room calendar, that individual must sign into their own account and schedule the meeting on their own calendar, inviting the room as they would invite a person. Once the meeting is scheduled, the room will be listed in the Location field for the meeting. Details concerning the meeting are not listed on the room calendar, the information that is listed on the room calendar is simply the name of the individual who scheduled the conference along with the time of the meeting.
To request a room calendar be activated contact the IS&T Help Desk by calling (216) 687-5050. When making a request the following information will be required:
- Requested email address, preferably the two character building code and the room number, with a limit of 17 characters
- Common name to be associated with the resource account (think of this as the first and last name). This is optional, should a common name not be provided, the building and room number will be listed as the common name.
- Name and email address of the individual(s) who will be listed as the administrator of the calendar. This person will be the individual who will manage access and permission levels for the calendar and will be the primary contact should any issue ever arise related to the calendar. It is recommended that at least 2 individuals be listed as an administrators.
Administrators, please review this information on how to manage a room / equipment calendar.