These accounts may be requested by a faculty / staff member only
Departmental / Generic accounts
These accounts are created for use when the mail received is not directed towards any specific individual, but more general in nature and meant for any individual representing a department, college, student organization or a specific project. The mail sent out from these accounts are not sent from a specific individual but are sent as being from the unit that the account was created to represent. An example of this would be the email address of firstname.lastname@example.org, this account was created to represent the IS&T Help Desk and is monitored by numerous people with the mail that is sent to the address not meant for a specific individual on the IS&T Help Desk.
Departmental accounts cannot have a forwarding address assigned to them and will be listed in the public directory, nor are these accounts eligible for Office ProPlus nor Office Mobile.
If after one year of no activity the account will be deactivated, after a notice is sent to the person listed as the contact inquiring as to the account’s status.
Once a year we verify the contact information associated with a departmental account. If we are unable to verify the information, or the individual is no longer associated with the university, the account will be locked. In order to have the account unlocked, a faculty / staff member must call the IST Help Desk at ext 5050 ( option 7 ) and provide them with the name and email address of the new contact person.
To request a departmental / generic account complete the online form or contact the IS&T Help Desk at ext. 5050 ( option 7 ) and supply them with the information listed below. Note: when requesting an email address, the only special characters that are permitted as part of the address are a period (.) or a hyphen (-) and they cannot be the first or last character of the address.
When submitting a request the following information will be required:
- Requested email address
- Password to be assigned
- Common name to be associated with the account (think of this as the first and last name)
- Name of individual who will be listed as the contact person. This person will be the individual who will be responsible for the password for the account, may request to have the password changed, will be the person who grants access to the account, and will be the primary contact should an issue ever arise concerning the account. This must be a faculty / staff member.
NOTE: We do not recommended sharing the password for the account with other individuals. If access is required by other individuals, we recommend delegating access and setting the access level to that needed. By sharing the password, issue can arise should the password be changed and not provided to everyone accessing the account. It also eliminates the need for changing the password as individuals leave, or responsibilities change, while at the same time maintaining secure access. For information on delegating access to others, select here; for information on gaining access after being delegated access, select here.
These accounts do not have a mailbox associated with them, though they are assigned an email address.
The primary purpose of these accounts are for the management of conference rooms.
The ability to schedule time on these calendars can be controlled and limited to specific individuals.
When a person reserves a time in a room calendar, that individual must sign into their own account and schedule the meeting on their own calendar, inviting the room as they would invite a person. Once the conference is scheduled, the details on the conference will be listed on the calendar of the individual who scheduled the conference, along with those individuals, if any, who were also invited to the conference. Details concerning the conference are not listed on the room calendar, the information that is listed on the room calendar is simply the name of the individual who scheduled the conference along with the times of the conference.
To request a room calendar be activated complete the online form or contact the IS&T Help Desk by calling ext. 5050 ( option 7 ). When making a request the following information will be required:
- Requested email address, preferably the two character building code and the room number, with a limit of 17 characters
- Common name to be associated with the account (think of this as the first and last name). This is optional, should a common name not be provided, the building and room number will be listed as the common name.
- Name and email address of the individual(s) who will be listed as the administrator of the calendar. This person will be the individual who will manage access and permission levels for the calendar and will be the primary contact should any issue ever arise related to the calendar. It is recommended that at least 2 individuals be listed as an administrators.
Administrators, please review this information on how to manage a room / equipment calendar.