College Credit Plus- CCP



Classes @ the downtown campus

Welcome to College Credit Plus at Cleveland State University!  After you have been admitted, please use this checklist to help you prepare for your first semester with us.

1.  If you haven't done so, please RSVP to a CCP Orientation date.

2.  Use Starfish to schedule your advising/course selection appointment with an advisor.  If you need assistance with Starfish, click here.

3.  Review your course textbook requirements.  Remember, CCP students should obtain all their texts from our University bookstore.

4.  Contact Tutoring and Academic Success Center (TASC) to set up tutoring, especially if you are taking a course in biology, chemistry, or physics.*

*All first semester CCP students will be referred to Success Coaching at TASC.

5.  Would you like a campus tour?

6.  Do you need a campus map?

7.  If you would like to utilize public transportation, we encourage you to get an RTA U-Pass.  CCP students may pay the $55 U-Pass fee per semester at  Parking & Transportation Services located in Berkman Hall 115.  This provides you with unlimited RTA during the academic semester.  

8.  If you are going to be driving to campus, you will need a parking pass

9.  You must have a CSU ID (Vikingcard) to use as your library card, parking pass, dining card, etc.  Information about obtaining your Vikingcard is located here.

10.  If you would like to rent a locker on campus, please go to the Pro Shop located on the first floor (next to the reception desk) in the CSU Recreation Center. For more information regarding locker rental, contact the Recreation Center at

11.  You will be responsible for sending an official CSU transcript to any future college or university you attend.  Transcripts can be ordered online here.

12.  Remember, it is likely that the academic calendar for CSU and for your high school do not align.  If your high school has a day off and CSU is open, you must attend any scheduled classes.  Conversely, if CSU is closed but your high school is in session, you must attend any classes there.  

Information about placement testing

For admitted CCP students at Cleveland State, math and English placement offer additional data about what level of courses is best for any given student at any given time in his or her academic life.  Placement testing cannot be substituted for an acceptable SAT or ACT entrance score.  Please consult following chart to determine if taking either (or both) placement tests is in your best interest.  If you are unsure, please feel free to talk to Dr. West or your HS counselor.  More information about these placement tests are available from Testing Services.

Should I take a placement test?
Scenario Decision Rationale
I want to take Precalculus II (MTH 168) or Calculus I (MTH 181) at Cleveland State. Yes. The math department requires that all students who wish to place into MTH 168 or MTH 181 take the placement test.
I was admitted to the program before I finished the Algebra I--Geometry--Algebra II sequence at HS and now I want to take math at CSU. Yes. Even if you don't want to take a course in the precalculus sequence, it would be better for you to have fresh data on file so that you are placed into the math course that is in line with your math development--challenging but not frustrating.
I was admitted to the program with a borderline math score on the ACT or SAT.  I scored into precalculus I, but I think it might be too high level. Yes. The goal of taking mathematics at the college level is to encourage healthy growth in math skills, not develop bad habits or anxiety.  If you think that your initial placement based on ACT or SAT was a reach, take the placement test to give us fresh data.
I need a fourth year math course but do not want to take precalculus.  I have taken Algebra I--Geometry--Algebra II and placed into MTH 167 on my ACT or SAT. Probably not.

MTH 147, Statistical Concepts with Apps, is great fourth-year math course, especially for students who believe that business, psychology, nursing, education or any other data-driven profession is in his or her future.  You can take this class directly after Algebra II as long as you place into nonremediated math at CSU.

From the course catalog:  "A first course in statistics that emphasizes statistical methodology as applied in the biological, social, and behavioral sciences, education, and business; topics include descriptive statistics, elementary probability, elementary sampling theory, estimation, hypothesis testing, regression, and correlation."

I know I am going to be some type of business major. I do not want to take precalculus. I placed into MTH 167 from my ACT or SAT score.  I need a fourth year math course. Probably not.

Your preferred math course would be MTH 148, Math For Business Majors I.

From the course catalog: "The topics for this course include equations of lines, graphs of functions, word problems, polynomial models, and mathematical applications. The course shows how to use exponential and logarithmic functions to study mathematical finance applications such as simple interest, discount, compound interest, present and future values, annuities, and amortization. The course also covers systems of linear equations and matrices."

I want to take General Chemistry I (CHM 261). Yes.

General Chemistry I presumes Calculus I competency.  

From the catalog:  "Prerequisites: (1) Math ACT score of a least 26, or Math SAT score of at least 610, or achieving a suitable score on the Math placement exam, or a C grade or better in MTH 168 or 180, or eligible for enrollment in MTH 181; or (2) achieving a suitable score on the General Chemistry placement exam, or completion of CHM 161 with a grade of C or better, or completion of CHM 251 with a grade of C or better. Stoichiometry, atomic theory, states of matter, electronic structure, oxidation-reduction, and thermodynamics."

I believe I tested poorly on the English ACT/SAT and can "test out of" ENG 101. Yes. You can take the English Placement test to see if you "test out of" ENG 101 and into ENG 102.
I am an English Language Learner. Maybe. If you tested into English 100 or English 101, you are in "college English" and do not need to take the English placement test.  However, if you did not place into at least English 100, you will want to take the test because you will be unable to take any English or Writing Across the Curriculum course without a passing score.
I want to "test out of" ENG 101 and ENG 102. Yes, but this is not likely to be successful. It is extremely rare for students to test out of ENG 102.  You are certainly welcome to take the test, but the threshold to do so is very high.
I took the ENG 101/102 or the precalculus equivalent at a community college (or via a CCP course at my high school). No. As long as you provide an official college transcript for the course and you met the prerequisite grade (C or higher) you can move into the next course in the sequence at CSU without having to take our placement test.  However, if you feel you are unsure about your skills, especially in math, you are encouraged to consider taking the placement test in order to have the best fresh data available.
information for students with exceptionalities/differing learning needs

We strive to provide a fully inclusive educational experience at Cleveland State University.  However,it is important to remember that CSU is an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) institution, not an Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) institution.  As such, the ways in which you are serviced at CSU may be different from your experience in your K-12 school environment.  If you are on IEP or 504 Plan at your school, please contact Linda Casalina in the Office of Disability Services in order to ensure that your accommodations are in place while with us at the University.  Linda can be reached at


Cleveland State University is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and education. No person at the university will be denied the opportunity for employment or education or be subject to discrimination in any project, program, or activity because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, disability, disabled veteran, Vietnam era veteran or other protected veteran status.

Cleveland State University has a preferred name policy.  This means that we have structures in place for any person at the University (student, staff, faculty) can choose to go by a name that is different from the one that may appear on his or her legal documentation.  This is common for students, staff, and faculty who come from international populations or for students, staff, and faculty who may identify as transgender, gender-nonconforming or any other identity expression.  If you are a CCP student who is in need of information about this policy, please contact Dr. West at or the Office of Institutional Equity at 216.687.2223.


Helpful Resources

Forms Resources
Need Assistance?
Contact Us