International Admissions

FAQ: Prior To Applying

Can the TOEFL/GRE/GMAT be waived?

Proof of English language proficiency is a mandatory university requirement and will not be waived unless the student has graduated from a US university or a university in one of our TOEFL exempted countries.

If the GRE or GMAT are required, then they cannot be waived. Please refer to the specific department for their requirements.

Is there an application fee for CSU?

There is a $40.00 USD application fee that can be paid by personal check, certified bank draft, or money order. If you applied online you can pay by credit card.

What are the admissions deadlines?

October 15th is the deadline for Spring semester, March 15th is the deadline for Summer semester, and May 15th is the deadline for Fall semester. Certain departments have earlier deadlines. Please refer to the Application Deadlines webpage.

What can I do if I cannot submit all of the required documents before the application deadline?

If you are unable to submit your application materials by the deadline, then please notify our office to defer your application to a future semester or to cancel your application.

What programs are offered at CSU?

Please refer to the catalog for undergraduate and graduate program options.

Can I apply for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for US government assisted financial aid. Graduate students are eligible to apply for graduate assistantships. Please indicate your interest in an assistantship when submitting your application. You may include a copy of your resume. Please refer to the Scholarships webpage.

What is the university code for ETS?

Our institution code is 1221.

What is the minimum GRE or GMAT test score?

GRE & GMAT score requirements vary by department. Please refer to your academic department for specific requirements.

Does CSU offer an ESL program?

Yes, the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) at Cleveland State University is designed to help students meet their educational, professional, and personal goals. 

Please visit for further information.

Do I need letters of recommendation?

Please visit to see if your program requires letters of recommendation.

Can I apply as a non-degree student?

CSU offers a short-term, non-degree application for visiting students. To apply for admission, please fill out the application here

How do I get a graduate assistantship?

You may submit your resume at the time of application. Graduate Assistantships are awarded to a limited number of students after admission, depending on departmental resources. You can apply for an assistantship by submitting your resume directly to a department with an available assistantship position.