The Intensive English Language Program, Cleveland State University is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation. For further information about this accreditation, please see http://www.cea-accredit.org.
Welcome to IELP!
The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) at Cleveland State University can help you improve your English skills whether your goals are for educational, business or personal reasons. By living "in the language," you will learn English more efficiently. Cleveland is a welcoming, multicultural city in the mid-western United States with four distinct seasons. You can explore US culture and customs by visiting the many museums and cultural events in Cleveland and the state of Ohio. Students who apply to study at the Intensive English Language Program must be 18 years of age by the first day of classes. The IELP at Cleveland State University meets the professional standards in the field of ESL, and holds institutional memberships in the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) and the Association of International Educators (NAFSA).
Why Cleveland State's IELP is your best choice:
• IELP has full-time study. F-1 visa students receive 20 hours of intensive English study in the classroom per week from experienced ESL teachers.
• IELP has part-time study available for residents or citizens for whom English is their second language.
• IELP is part of a 4-year university. If you want to earn a degree from a US university, you will have the opportunity to experience campus life. Students at the IELP can use the library, gym, computer labs, etc. on the Cleveland State University campus and will have a university ID.
• IELP students have access to on-campus housing, airport pick-up, orientation activities.
• IELP has four levels of instruction (High Elementary through Advanced; There is no true beginner's level).
• IELP offers courses in Reading, Writing, Listening/Speaking, Grammar and Vocabulary.
• IELP’s smaller classes give students more individual attention.
• IELP’s experienced and qualified instructors have advanced degrees in ESL or a related field.
• IELP can design special programs for groups during the regular semesters or the summer.
Purposes and Goals of IELP
IELP Schedule, Dates, Costs
What our students say about the IELP!
Spring 2016 (January 12 - May 8, 2016) Application Deadline Nov 3, 2015.
Summer 2016 (May 18 - August 7, 2016) Application deadline is March 21, 2016.
Fall 2016 (August 24- Dec 12, 2016) Application deadline is June 22, 2016.
Spring 2017 (January 19 - May 13, 2017) Application deadline is November 17, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY
IELP Application FormExpress Mailing Instructions
DHL and FedEx Express mailing of applications, supporting materials, and financials to our university is available. Please see link above for information about sending documents or receiving your I20.
APPLICATION FEE PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Mail in the Intensive English Language Program non-refundable application fee ($40) with credit card information, a check or money order (drawn from a US bank in US dollars) made payable to Cleveland State University or pay online.
1. Type in your first name, last name and birthdate (month and date). Click on COEHS English as a Second Language on the right side and click on “continue”.
2. Choose the correct semester (Summer, Fall or Spring) for application fee payment click on “checkout”.
3. Fill out the credit card information and submit. You will get confirmation of your payment.
We connect ESL students with native English speakers who are faculty, staff, alumni and undergraduate and graduate students here at Cleveland State University. Partners should commit to an hour of conversation per week. If you are interested in partnering with one of our students, please fill out this application or apply in person at the offices of the Intensive English Language Program located in Mather Mansion, Room 208.
USEFUL INFORMATION FOR CURRENT AND ARRIVING STUDENTS
For more information, contact:
Michelle Bowman, Ph.D.
Director, ESL Program/Intensive English Language Program
2605 Euclid Avenue, MM 209
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, OH 44115
ESL Program - Teacher Education Department
2605 Euclid Avenue, Mather Mansion 209
Cleveland, OH 44115