Cleveland State University has licensed Qualtrics for use as a survey tool for creating, delivering, and analyzing surveys and survey responses for research, academic, and administrative purposes. Qualtrics is available to all current CSU faculty and staff, and to students when supervised by faculty in a class or research setting. Use of this University-provided account is subject to agreement with the following terms and conditions. Users are also expected to comply with all other applicable University policies, state and federal laws including the federal copyright laws.
- Qualtrics must be used in accordance with CSU’s General Policy for University Information and Technology Resources.
- Faculty and staff are responsible for general oversight of acceptable and responsible use of Qualtrics among students conducting research under their supervision. Students needing access should have their instructor or advisor request access via this form.
- Administrative use of Qualtrics must comply with CSU’s Institutional Research policy.
- Survey research involving human subjects requires that the researcher obtain IRB approval or verify that the research is exempt from IRB approval prior to administering a survey.
- Surveys must protect the privacy and confidentiality of student, faculty, staff, patient, and/or other institutional information as required by FERPA, HIPAA, and all other applicable university policies, state laws, and federal laws. Specifically, surveys may never be used to collect:
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Payment Card Information (includes credit cards, bank cards, and other forms of payment)
- Financial account numbers
- Driver's License or State Identification Numbers
- Employer or Taxpayer Identification Numbers (EINs or TINs)
- Passport or national identification numbers
- Biometric data (including fingerprints or retinal scans)
- Usernames and Passwords
- Using Qualtrics for non-university related activities is prohibited. This includes personal use or use on behalf of a company/other unit (whether for pay or not).
- Sharing your Qualtrics account log in information is prohibited.
- Qualtrics will archive and retain survey instruments and survey responses indefinitely. However, users are responsible for archiving their data to other media such as a local hard drive or flash drive prior to expiration of the Qualtrics account. The University is not responsible for archiving or retrieving data.
- Qualtrics administrators will routinely monitor the volume of surveys and survey respondents for system management purposes. Usage may also be subject to auditing and security testing.
- Individuals using copyright material or third-party logos are responsible for procuring proper authorization.
- All Qualtrics survey distributions must originate from a valid Cleveland State University email address. Survey distributions from other email addresses (e.g., Gmail) is prohibited.
- Use of CSU’s logos, seals, or trademarks must follow relevant university polices.
- Student users must adhere to all behavioral expectations set forth in the Student Code of Conduct.
Click below to access Qualtrics.
Portions of this policy were adapted from Roanoke College, the University of Pittsburgh, and Northeastern University.