Office of Admissions

Military Connected Applicants

admission Information for military-connected applicants

Veteran and military-connected students at Cleveland State benefit from affordable tuition, extensive academic opportunities, student-veteran organizations and activities, and a full range of veteran's academic and social support programs and services led by our Veteran and Military Student Success Center.

Note: Cleveland State does not provide commissions, bonuses or other incentive payments based directly or indirectly on securing service member enrollments. Furthermore, the University prohibits the use of high-pressure recruitment tactics.


You'll follow the same steps as other applicants, but there are a few things to be aware of:

  1. Determine if you are applying as a freshman (you have taken no college courses after graduating high school, not including military credits) or a transfer student (you have taken college courses after high school, not including military credits), then follow the step-by-step admissions instructions for that student type. Note: Air Force veterans and service members should apply as transfer students.
  2. When sending transcripts, if ACE or JST/CCAF transcripts are available, please send them as well.
  3. If you have previously attended CSU please visit to determine your next steps.
  4. All enlisted Service members should speak with their Educational Service Officer or counselor within their Military Branch prior to enrollment.

In-state Tuition and Expense Help for Military-Connected Students and Family Members

Most military-connected students and their family members using education benefits should be able to attend at in-state rates through one of the following programs. For clarification on your individual situation, please speak with the staff of Campus All-in-One at 216-687-5411.

  • The State of Ohio passed the Ohio GI Promise bill further ensuring that, upon one year of service, military members (and their immediate family members) who retire or relocate to Ohio immediately qualify for in-state tuition. The bill also exempts military retirees from paying Ohio State income tax on their federal retired pay. Please see more at Ohio GI Promise.
    • Under the post-9/11 GI Bill®veterans will receive benefits to cover the cost of in-state tuition, a monthly housing stipend and up to $1,000 annually for books. Read about the GI Bill benefit program
  • 2015 Federal Law (Choice Act) and Companion State of Ohio Law: The service member or veteran must be using VA education benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 31 VR&E, or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill); served at least 90 days on active duty; and is enrolled in a state institution of higher education. Once VA benefits expire, the service member or veteran must apply under the GI Promise option and if not eligible will revert to out-of-state tuition rates.
    • A spouse or dependent is eligible, only while using benefits, if they are the recipient of the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry scholarship; Chapter 33 transfer of entitlement; or Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance; if the person is enrolled in a state institution of higher education, lives in Ohio as of the first day of a term of enrollment in an institution of higher education, the veteran's period of active duty was at least 90 days and they have separated. Once VA benefits expire, the spouse or dependent must apply under the GI Promise option and if not eligible will revert to out of state tuition rates. Read about the Choice Act

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Military Family Member Benefits

Your family members, including your spouse or children, may be eligible to pay Ohio resident tuition, even if you are not currently a resident of the State of Ohio. They may also be eligible to use your GI Bill benefits. Read about the Ohio GI Promise and GI Bill benefit program.

Cleveland State also has a policy that may allow family members of those who served, or are serving, to qualify for in-state tuition rates. For more information, Campus All-in-One at or 216-687-5411 or stop by our office at 116 Berkman Hall.

Transferring Credit

You will learn which credits transferred after your notice of admission. For an estimate, visit to learn more information or schedule a meeting with a transfer specialist or visit to identify courses at your current institution that would be most applicable for your intended major. This only resource can also help you determine which credits will transfer to Cleveland State. (Information obtained vis does not guarantee that you will receive credit or that credit will be applicable to your intended degree.)

  • Course credit will transfer to Cleveland State if the course was taken at a regionally accredited institution, the course was non-remedial and you received a D or D+ or better. In many cases, credit for equivalent courses is received when transfer credit is awarded. Visit for details about the transferability of course credit to and from Ohio and regional institutions.
  • Military transfer credit will be accepted according to the American Council on Education's recommendation, as listed on the Joint Services Transcript of the Community College of the Air Force Transcript. Application of this credit is determined at the college level. Learn more about military transfer credit at
  • Cleveland State undergraduate, degree-seeking military member and Veteran students who have served in a foreign country, outside of the United States may be eligible to receive credit for the AALAME general education requirement for this experience and training. Eligible students should complete the secure form below and submit a copy of their service record listing deployment information (DD Form 214) for review. Click to Access and Complete the Secure Form.

For more information about transfer credit, please visit



Tuition, Housing and Dining for Incoming Students

We've estimated costs and fees to help you and your family determine your expenses. An academic year is two semesters of full time enrollment.

First Year Students

Transfer Students

Select the fee schedule that corresponds to the academic year of your start term.

Additional Expenses

Tuition and fees can vary depending on the mode of instruction (on-campus, online) and the program of study. In addition students should anticipate indirect costs including books, supplies and equipment, miscellaneous personal expenses, transportation and federal student loan fees. These expenses are considered when determining financial aid awards. Anticipate an increase in expenses from year to year.


Students planning to live on campus can view housing options and rates at


Information on all available dining plans are available to view at


The university reserves the right to assess fees for special services and programs applicable to students.

Cleveland State Tuition Guarantee (TGP)

The Cleveland State Tuition Guarantee keeps in-state tuition flat for four years for each incoming class of new first-year undergraduates on all campuses. 

Selective Service Registration

Federal law requires male students ages 18 through 25 to be registered with the Selective Service System, unless they are on active duty with the armed forces of the United States, non-U.S. citizens on a student visa, or otherwise legally excluded. Ohio resident who are not registered are required by Ohio law to pay the non-resident surcharge. Register with the Selective Service within 30 days of your 18th birthday at or any post office.

Financial Aid

Whether it's scholarships, grants, work-study or connecting students to federal or state aid, Cleveland State has many resources and ways to help eligible students and their families pay for the overall cost of attending college. 

Financial aid can come from Cleveland State, federal and state government, and private sources and includes:

  • Scholarships
  • Grants
  • Loans
  • Work-Study

We've compiled everything you need to know about applying for, accepting and managing financial aid on our Student Financial Aid website.

To be considered for the most aid, be sure to submit the FAFSA.

Have additional questions (or just want to talk to a human)?

Our helpful staff can help you determine whether you qualify for aid and to successfully apply for it you can contact us at 216-687-5411.

When Called to Duty

When students are called to active military duty, it is the university's intention to make their transition out of the university as smooth and problem free as possible. 

Students who are called to active military duty have two options for their class work.

Students may:

  1. Withdraw ("W") from ALL courses with a full refund of all tuition and fees; or
  2. Take an Incomplete ("I") for ALL courses with the understanding that the "I" would be extended until the student has had an opportunity to finish class requirement following their return to school after the completion of active duty status.

Affected students need to present an official copy of the military orders to the Office of the University Registrar at Campus All-in-1 at the Berkman Hall Building, Room 116 and to their instructors. The Office of the University Registrar will provide copies of the orders to the Bursar's Office and Financial Aid Office. All questions about financial aid implications can be directed to the Financial Aid Office at 216-687-5411.