Center for International Services & Programs

Teach Abroad

Resources for a international experience brought to you by the Foundation for Global Scholars.

English Teaching Assistantships in Austria:
Since 1963, this program has provided college and university graduates with opportunities to work at secondary schools throughout Austria as teaching assistants. U.S. teaching assistants not only enhance the instruction of English as native speakers; they also are important resource persons for first hand information about the "American way of life" and representatives of the United States. This program is financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture, and applications are administered by the Austrian-American Educational Commission (Fulbright Commission). Although the participants in this program make a substantial contribution to the fulfillment of the Fulbright mandate of promoting mutual understanding between the peoples of Austria and the United States, this teaching assistantship program is not part of the official Fulbright Grant Programs.

Central European Teaching Program (CETP)
CETP offers full year, semester and summer teaching opportunities in Hungary, Romania and Poland at the elementary, junior high, high school or university level. Program fees are $2000 for a full school year, $1500 for a semester and $500 for summer language camps. The program fee includes a paid teacher placement, furnished housing including utilities, orientation, health insurance, social events and teacher training. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and hold a B.S. or B.A. degree. No prior teaching experience is necessary. CETP can place friends applying together as well as spouses/partners and families with children. CETP teachers can defer most student loans for up to three years.

CIEE offers teacher placements in China and   Thailand. Teachers will have a 10 month contract,   receive a local salary, teach 16-22 hours per week,   and on completion of the contract receive a free   flight home. To apply you need a bachelor's degree   by the time of departure and excellent spoken and   written English skills. Organizational skills, creativity,   and adaptability are also important. The CIEE   program fee ($1400 or $1800) includes a work   visa, orientation, classes on TEFL theory and   practice, language training, room and board,    insurance, and pre-departure advice.

Dave's ESL Café
This is a great website with information primarily geared toward ESL teaching and ESL education. It is a free site offering a myriad of job opportunities in education as well as engaging lessons plans for teachers. is a website for people who want to live overseas. The jobs section is a resource for overseas teaching jobs and it highlights some of the most popular recruiting agencies and organizations, TEFL/TESL certificate courses, and forums.

English Teaching Assistants in Spain
The Spanish Ministry of Education is supporting ESL student teachers a variety of different programs. The programs provide Spanish students and teachers of English or French an opportunity to broaden and increase their knowledge of the English or French language and North American culture through interaction with native speakers.
The Assistants will also have the opportunity to learn about the Spanish language and culture and use their experience upon their return to the United States or Canada, thus developing cultural understanding between the citizens of Spain and the United States of America and Canada.
The Spanish Autonomous Regions will assign all candidates, individually, an elementary or secondary school. Candidates may not choose a particular city. The Ministry and some of the Regional Education Authorities will organize orientation seminars at the beginning of the school year.

ESL Career
ESL Career offers several teaching opportunities in for teaching in Korea. They'll help you get with everything you need to know when working as a foreigner in the country. They pride themselves in their professional attitude and "street-smart" knowledge base, making sure you'll have a pleasant experience while working abroad.

French Culture.Org
The French Ministry of Education and the Cultural Services at the French Embassy offer teaching assistant positions in French primary and secondary schools and in Instituts Universitaires de Formation des Maîtres (IUFMs) for all regions of France. The assistantships and internships for Americans in France aid academic cooperation between the French and American governments. Applicant must be an American citizen (or have a green card) between 20-35 years of age who holds or is pursuing a college degree and is proficient in French. Assistants spend 6-9 months in France teaching 12 hours of English conversation classes per week. Assistants are given a monthly stipend of about 890€.

International House Barcelona
This site is for language and teacher training courses, but also has a link to TEFL jobs where they list the top TEFL websites for job searching.

Marshall University, Teach in China
Marshall University offers a placement service for teaching in China. The placement fee of $950 includes a 9-week online TEFL training course, a six day orientation in Shanghai and administrative costs. Participants teach English at K-12 and higher education institutions. To apply you must have a bachelor's degree, native-fluency in English, good health, cross-cultural sensitivity and the ability to commit to a 10 month contract. Most contracts include free accommodation, monthly salary, yearly travel stipend, free medical care in China, paid vacation, and round-trip or one-way international airfare. Teachers are expected to write lesson plans, correct homework and assist in academic counseling when needed. The average teacher will teach 12-16 hours per week.

Peace Corps
Peace Corps is a volunteer organization of the U.S. Department of State which promotes intercultural understanding. The Peace Corps hires K-12 teachers as well as ESL teachers. Volunteers receive a living stipend. Volunteers who apply will be placed wherever there is a need, so they are not able to choose their location. The Peace Corps has practical benefits such as loan deferment, fluency in a foreign language and the intrinsic benefits that come with making a difference in people's lives.

The Japan Exchange and Teaching program (JET)
One of the world's largest cultural exchange programs, JET promotes internationalization in Japan by encouraging understanding between Japan and other nations. JET participants serve in public and private junior and senior high schools. JET participants are paid and round trip airfare is usually included. Contracts are for one year and, if agreed, may be extended for two years. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree and excellent language skills in their country's principle language and be under the age of 40. JET has an involved application procedure, so plan in advance. More specific requirements and information can be found on the website.
This website is a directory for international teaching opportunities. It has a huge wealth of information for all kinds of teaching jobs from paid jobs to volunteer, part time to full time.

Transitions Abroad
This website will help you search for an international job (including teaching English) and give advice on writing a resume for an international job. Also included are stories from life abroad and how to start a business overseas.

Volunteers in Asia (VIA)
This is a fee based program which has public service programs such as teaching and conservation in China, Vietnam, Laos and Indonesia. You will receive cultural and teacher training before departure. Program prices range from $1,500 to $2,500. Volunteers can participate in summer programs or long-term programs for one year or two years. VIA provides financial assistance to about 40% of the volunteers.

World Teach
A non-profit, non-governmental volunteer organization based at Harvard University's Center for International Development. World Teach aims to provide opportunities for individuals to become an important part of international education by living and working as volunteer teachers in developing countries. An interest in education, community service, and new cultures is necessary. Volunteers usually teach English but could teach math or science depending on needs. No teaching or foreign language experience is required. Program fees range from $3,900-$5,950. A fundraising guide is available upon request. The fee includes round trip airfare, health insurance, teacher and language training, 24-hour emergency contact, health and safety seminars, and cultural orientation. There are a few programs that are fully or partially funded and also full scholarships in three countries to volunteers who have three years of teaching experience. Teacher placements may be in Asia, Latin America, Africa, or Eastern Europe.

EF English First
EF English First, part of the world’s largest private education company. This website offers English language teaching positions around the world especially training and recruiting teachers for ESL / TEFL positions in China and around the world.

Council of International Schools
This is a teacher placement service. Candidates register online and must be prepared to attend one of the CIS Recruitment Centers. Candidates should have a minimum of two years full-time teaching experience in their certified area.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships
The Fulbright Program was created in 1946 by the U.S. Congress after WWII to "foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchange." (Fulbright, 2005-2006). Grants are offered for graduate study, graduate research, teaching exchange and teaching assistantships. CSU campus deadline for applications is in the fall. See the CSU Education Abroad Staff for more information. Grant opportunities to teach English language and conversation classes are available in select countries such as Argentina, Chile, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Indonesia, Korea, Romania, Slovak Republic, Russia, Taiwan, and Turkey. Knowledge of the home language may or may not be required. Grant periods range from 8-11 months. The number of grants and grant conditions differ by country. See individual country summaries for more information. Applicants should be graduating seniors or graduate students interested in working in an educational environment.

Department of Defense Education Activity
This is a "civilian agency of the U.S. Department of Defense" which governs the "Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) overseas, and the Department of Defense Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS) in the United States." Click on the employment link for a teaching position application packet and application instructions. is an extensive website dedicated to hiring teachers for British schools. Browse teaching vacancies in the UK. (Username/login required to apply.)

International Schools Services
This organization provides services to independent schools overseas including teacher and administrator recruitment and other support services.

The International Educator (TIE Online)
This is an online newspaper and interactive website for teaching positions overseas. It also includes helpful extras such as a message board, resume posting, and articles from the field. (Requires a yearly subscription fee).

University of Northern Iowa, Overseas Placement Services for Educators
You can register with the University of Northern Iowa for their three day recruitment fair that hosts over 100 international schools recruiting for over 65 countries. Candidates average six (6) interviews each during the event. To register you must hold current certification as an elementary or secondary teacher or administrator. The University does not charge placement fees for candidates.

This is the official job site of the United States Federal Government. It includes Peace Corps, teaching assistantships, fellowships for study and research, and teaching positions with Department of Defense Dependent Schools.

U.S. Department of State
The Office of Overseas Schools is for the purpose of promoting educational opportunities for dependents of American citizens who work for the U.S. government. Most American sponsored overseas schools work with private organizations in the U.S. to help them recruit teachers. Click on the teaching overseas link, to find a listing of quick reference information to various teaching agencies.