Veteran & Military Student Success Center - Viking Vets

Educational Benefits

VA Educational Benefit Information

Students who are using VA Education Benefits for the first time must apply through the VA. Students who are dependents of service members using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® can find more information about the transfer of entitlement process on the VA website

Please note that dependents are still required to apply for benefits after the transfer is approved.

Students who have previously used VA Education Benefits at another school are encouraged to complete the VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form.

The VA administers several different educational benefits. Each benefit has different eligibility requirements and payment rates, please see the links below for information. For questions regarding eligibility for VA Education Benefits please contact the VA by phone at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or through the Ask VA Portal.

*Please note that Ch 1606, Ch 30, and Ch 35 benefits are paid directly to the student. Cleveland State University will not receive any payments from the VA for these benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Even if you are attending CSU using VA Education Benefits, you are still going to be eligible for some financial aid options and can potentially qualify for numerous scholarships.

For general questions the CSU Financial Aid Office will be able to help you with resources; including various scholarships that cover a wider range of requirements.

Even though you may be using GI Bill benefits YOU MAY STILL QUALIFY for federal or state grants to support your goals. Make sure you complete the FAFSA before school starts. Be sure you understand the difference between grants and loans when asked to choose.

FAFSA Application

If you still have concerns or just a specific question about your entitlements, the processes, or anything else just send us an email at