Transfer Student Services

Getting Started

I haven’t applied yet, where do I begin?

If you have not yet applied to CSU or have not yet been accepted, we recommend that you begin the advising process with Transfer Student Services. Our office can be reached at (216) 687-5568 or where we will schedule an appointment for you to meet with a Transfer Student Services advisor. However if you have been accepted and have been assigned a CSU ID, it is best to begin the transfer advising process with the person listed as your COLLEGE or STAFF advisor in your Starfish network, rather than your FACULTY advisor.

How do I apply to CSU?

To apply, you will need to either create a new account or log in to an existing account where you will gain access to the admissions application. After completing the application, you will be required to pay the application fee and send your official transcripts to CSU.

After you have applied, make sure to continuously check your application portal to check on your application status.  Once you are accepted, you will need to accept your enrollment and then you will be able to schedule an appointment with your advisor in Starfish to create your course schedule.

How can I send my transcripts to CSU?

Transcripts can be sent to Cleveland State electronically or by mail. Ordering transcripts electronically from your previous institution is preferred and will be processed more efficiently. Electronic transcripts can be sent to Contact your previous institutions Registrar’s Office to order your transcripts. If you prefer to send transcripts by mail they can be sent to:

Cleveland State University
Application Processing Center
1836 Euclid Avenue, UN 301
Cleveland, OH 44115

What is the difference between unofficial and official transcripts?

Official transcripts are required for admission to CSU and can only be ordered and produced through your previous institutions Registrar’s Office. Unofficial transcripts are available to students for free which can often be accessed through your student account or system. Unofficial transcripts can be used for the purpose of an unofficial transfer credit evaluation.

What is Starfish?

Starfish is an online program that makes it easier for undergraduate students to communicate and make appointments with support services and faculty on campus.

Login to :

  • Find your assigned advisor
  • Look for communication from your support network about your academic progress
  • Schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor or tutor
  • Schedule a tutorial with the Writing Center
  • Schedule Supplemental Instruction (for certain courses)
  • Course Conferences (with participating faculty)

How do I access Starfish?

To access your Starfish account, log in to your CampusNet account and chose the “Student” tab. Next, look in the toolbar at the top for a blue star next to the word "Starfish." That's a direct link to CSU's Starfish. This is where you will be able to select the “My Success Network” tab which will give you access to the contact information for your academic advisor. Click here for further information on how to navigate Starfish

What is the Transfer Hold?

All new transfer students have a hold placed on their record when they are officially admitted to Cleveland State.  The hold can be viewed in your CampusNet account:

CampusNet account information

Until this hold is removed, you will not be able to register for courses.  We recommend working with your assigned staff advisor to remove your hold quickly following admission to avoid missing out on seats in courses.

Why do I have a Transfer Hold?

Sometimes transfer students are admitted before Cleveland State has received all final transcripts.  This may happen if you attended more than one institution previously, or if you had courses “in-progress” at another institution when applying to Cleveland State.  We want to maximize your degree progress, and ensure that every course is evaluated and applied where possible to our degree requirements and/or course pre-requisites.  The Transfer Hold ensures that you connect with an academic advisor, and have a full understanding of your incoming credits before enrolling in courses.   

How do I remove the Transfer Hold?

The Transfer Hold can be removed by your staff advisor, after reviewing your record and ensuring that you have been connected with the person or office that can assist you throughout your degree program.  Your Starfish account will help you identify the faculty and/or staff assigned to you for academic advising:


Where more than one person is listed, please refer to the listing below to find the best contact for your Transfer Hold removal:

College of Arts and Sciences: Contact the person noted as your staff advisor. Not your faculty advisor.