Three Approaches to Collaborate
Industry Express agreements provide a simple framework to remove financial uncertainty that can be associated with access to university-developed intellectual property (IP) rights.
|Non-Exclusive Royalty Free License|
Allows a company to quickly enter into a research agreement.
- Company receives a fully paid up, royalty free, non-exclusive license to IP and an option to negotiate an exclusive license.
- No upfront fees or annual minimum royalties.
- An exclusive license can be negotiated after IP is developed.
|Paid Up Exclusive License|
Allows a company to retain exclusive rights to the IP created from sponsored research.
- Company pre-pays greater of $15,000 or 15% of total sponsored research budget.
- No initial running royalty, annual minimums, or sublicensing fees are required.
- License requires 1% royalty on licensed product once cumulative sales reach $10M.
|Ownership Assigned to Sponsor|
Allows a company to own CSU invented IP without paying royalty fees.
- Ownership of CSU project IP is assigned to the company.
- Company prepays an additional fee of 75% of the full cost of the sponsored research project for the ownership of IP.
In all cases, background IP is not automatically included and the company pays all IP fees. Agreement among the industry partner, CSU, and the faculty investigator will be established prior to work and any pre-obligation of IP rights. For additional information, contact the Technology Transfer Office.