EARLY ASSURANCE POST-BACC ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Post-baccalaureate (post-bacc) students must meet all the requirements in section A and at least 2 of the requirement in Section B to apply.
SECTION A (must meet all of the following requirements)
- Have or will complete a baccalaureate degree from an accredited intuition of higher education
- Suggested overall 3.0 GPA or greater *Note: overall GPA of 3.4 or greater is needed to matriculate to NEOMED
- Completed General Biology I w/lab, General Chemistry I w/Lab and General Chemistry II w/lab with grade of C or better
- ** ONLY If applying for 1-year post-bacc track, 1st MCAT attempt must be taken by start of the program.
SECTION B (must meet at least two of the following requirements)
- Resident of Ohio
- Considered an underrepresented minority (African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino or, American Indian or Alaska Native)
- Come from a disadvantaged background or whose school district tested in the lower 50th percentile on state standardized testing or was eligible for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program for two or more years
- Come from an underserved background or from a low-income household
- First-generation college student, veteran or graduate of the foster care system
NEOMED ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: courses needed to matriculate to NEOMED
Admission requirements are subject to change for candidates expecting to matriculate to NEOMED in 2025 and beyond.
Following completion of the Pathways to Practice program, candidates will be admitted to the College of Medicine at NEOMED if all of the following admission requirements are met during their post-baccalaureate enrollment at Cleveland State University:
- Successfully complete the Pathways to Practice coursework
- Have no less than a C- on all required courses
- Two semesters of Organic Chemistry and Labs
- Two semesters of Physics and Labs
- Two semesters of Biology and Labs
- One semester of Biochemistry
- Candidates are also required to meet or exceed the following grade point average, BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math courses) grade point average and minimum MCAT scores as follows for admission to NEOMED:
|IF THE ORGANIC CHEMISTRY/PRE-REQUISITE REQUIREMENTS ARE:||AND THE REQUIRED MCAT SCORE IS:||THEN THE MINIMUM BCPM GPA & GPA IS:|
If no grade lower than B- in Organic Chemistry I or II or Labs
|502 (+/- 2 CI = 500/504)||3.40|
|If at least one grade of “C+/C/ C-“ in Organic Chemistry I or II or Labs||
507 (+/- 2 CI = 505/509)
If all grades in Organic Chemistry I or II or Labs are “C-“ or above
|514 (+/-2 CI = 512 – 516)||3.25|
If any grade(s) of “D +” or lower in Organic Chemistry is earned
Do not admit/denial
Do not admit/denial
|If any grade of “F” in any required prerequisite is earned||
Do not admit/denial
Do not admit/denial
- “The Organic Chemistry/Pre-Requisite Requirements” pertains to any and all Organic Chemistry grades earned in courses or labs during the post baccalaureate period of enrollment at Cleveland State or taken at a prior institution if that credit is used to fulfil an Organic Chemistry requirement during the postbaccalaureate early assurance phase. Courses that AMCAS classifies as Organic Chemistry during the verification process shall comprise the Organic Chemistry category. These may include Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry I Lab if a separate course, Organic Chemistry II and Organic Chemistry II Lab if a separate course.
- All grade point averages and BCPM grade point averages are calculated using AMCAS policies and practices based upon the coursework used to fulfil the Cleveland State University post-baccalaureate requirements. Essentially, in no case are grades forgiven or expunged if the course is re taken and a higher grade is earned regardless of any undergraduate institution’s academic forgiveness policies. AMCAS data is considered official for all GPA decisions.
- “CI” in the “Required MCAT Score” section refers to “Confidence Interval”. NEOMED will recognize the AAMC Confidence Intervals in effect at the time of AMCAS Early Assurance Application for Admission. At present, the MCAT Confidence Interval is plus or minus two points. This means that while the minimum required admission score is a 502 for any single sitting of the MCAT, NEOMED will recognize that a score of 500 is sufficient to meet NEOMED’s Early Assurance Admission standards. The same pattern is in effect where a score of 505 will be interpreted as meeting the 507 minimum and a score of 512 will be recognized as meeting the 514 minimum score.
- All MCAT scores will consist of the best total score of all four sub-test scores summed from a single test date sitting. A candidate’s AMCAS Early Assurance Application for Admission dataset will be the official source of MCAT data. NEOMED does not require early assurance candidates to meet minimum MCAT sub-score thresholds.
- Grade point averages and BCPM grade point averages will be evaluated at the time of an Offer of Admission. Once a candidate meets the threshold at the time of admission, the GPA/BCPM GPA will not be re-reviewed unless there is a significant decline.
- Candidates that receive a grade in a course that results in a “Do Not Admit/Denial” condition are advised to proactively initiate a withdrawal from the early assurance and pursue other alternative paths to medical school rather than delay enforcement of this condition when discovered in the AMCAS Early Assurance Admission process.
All offers of admission are contingent upon the successful completion of remaining prerequisite coursework. Academic performance that deviates significantly from that which secured admission may be revisited by the Admission Committee for consideration, including rescission of admission. Serious professionalism issues, such as convictions and/or academic misconduct may be revisited by the Admission Committee for consideration, including rescission of admission. Upon matriculation to NEOMED to begin the M.D. program of study, degree requirements are the same for all M.D. students. Candidates are solely responsible for understanding and adhering to all procedures and deadlines.
** NEOMED ADMISSION RREQUIRMENTS INFORMATION PRESENTED HERE IS FOR CONVENIENCES OF PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS. DEFINITIVE INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON NEOMED'S WEBSITE OR BY CLICKING Here**