International Admissions

Financial Documents

Why do I need to submit financial documents?

All international students must show financial support for one academic year. Financial documents must be submitted in order for Cleveland State University to issue an I-20 for F1 visas or a DS-2019 for J1 visas. The financial documents and I-20 or DS-2019 must be presented at the US Embassy or Consulate when applying for either an F1 or J1 visa. 

We are required by the Department of Homeland Security/US Citizenship and Immigration Services to carefully check the financial ability of each student prior to requesting approval to issue your SEVIS I-20. Therefore, it is important that you are aware of the cost of attending CSU and that you have all necessary funds to support yourself. The amount of financial support that a student must show is equal to the Total (Academic Year=Fall & Spring semesters) amount listed on the Tuition and Fees webpage.

Listed below are the procedures necessary to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility (the SEVIS I-20 for F1 student status). The process for issuing your I-20 will begin once you have been admitted to CSU. If you are currently holding an F1 student visa and are transferring from another US institution to CSU you still need to follow this procedure.


Prepare Your Documents:

Please have two original financial documents prepared - one for Cleveland State University and one to present to the US Embassy or Consulate.

All documents must be dated and issued within the past 6 months.

The following documents or combinations of documents are acceptable:

  1. An original bank statement in your name, which indicates the amount of funds available. The bank statement must indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone, FAX number and street address.
  2. An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor or parent) that indicates the amount available accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor of his or her intention to provide support.The bank statement must indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone, FAX number and street address.
  3. A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention to provide support. The guarantor's salary must show his/her ability to provide the amount of the promised support.
  4. A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring agency that indicates the amount available and additional provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing instructions. You should also send a copy to the Office of Treasury Services once you arrive on campus in order for the billing to take place.

If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other than US dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange rate on the day we receive your financial support documents.


Documents NOT accepted:
  • Statements verifying employment and salary
  • Insurance premiums and policies
  • Property or personal assets (automobiles, land, buildings, jewelry, etc.)
  • Lines of credit
  • Assets such as stocks, bonds, equities, retirement accounts
  • Income tax returns
  • Attestations stating only that a sponsor can meet the expenses without providing accompanying bank statements


Where to Submit Financial Documents:

Submit financial documents by mail to: 

Cleveland State University
Office of International Admissions
2121 Euclid Avenue, UN 443
Cleveland, Ohio 44115 USA

Or email your documentation to:

Your financial documents will be reviewed by CSU to determine your ability to meet the financial obligation while you are attending the University. If your financial documents are not approved or if there are additional questions, you will be notified by email.


Transfer Students:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that you obtain a release from your current institution before your new I-20 is issued. Once you are admitted to Cleveland State University and receive your admission letter, please contact your immigration advisor at your current school and requested that your I-20 be transferred to Cleveland State University.

Married Students:

A married student who plans to bring his/her dependents will require an additional $3,500 for the spouse, $2,000 for the 1st child, and $1,500 for each additional child. These amounts should be added to the total number under the appropriate column. Additional insurance for family of F1 students is optional, but highly recommended. F2 dependents are not permitted to work or enroll in classes.

Enrollment Requirement:

Immigration regulations require that all students are enrolled full-time. Students who are admitted to the summer semester must enroll full-time for that semester and subsequent terms.

Full-Time Enrollment:
Undergraduate = at least 12 credit hours per semester
Graduate = at least 9 credit hours per semester

Important Information:
  1. All bank, scholarship, and sponsor letters must:
    a. Be original with original signatures
    b. Specify the amount of funding available to you
    c. Indicate which currency is being used
  2. Copies, faxes, and emails will be accepted only if they are legible
  3. All financial documents must be current - documents older than 6 months from your expected entry date will not be accepted
  4. Your name must appear on all bank, scholarship, and sponsor letters
  5. The funding you demonstrate must be sufficient to meet the costs of attending Cleveland State University as specified

Failure to comply with any of the above conditions may delay the issuance of the I-20. Cleveland State University is unable to provide scanned or photocopied I-20s. Original I-20s can either be picked up in person at Campus411 or sent by regular or express mail.

For questions about new I-20s please contact

For questions about transfer I-20s please contact