First Year Experience (FYE) Peer Mentors
The FYE Peer Mentor serves as a guide to support and provide academic assistance to first year students at Cleveland State University. The Peer Mentor serves as an integral part of the First Year Experience Seminar – Introduction to University Life (ASC 101) and the first-year student acclimation to campus life. Each Peer Mentor assists students in developing their knowledge, learning new skills and bolstering their confidence to become independent learners with high academic performance. The Peer Mentor works closely with the instructor in planning and preparation for the course, attends each class, assists students in transitioning to Cleveland State University, as well as coordinates multiple out-of-class activities. Peer Mentors are compensated for working up to 10 hours per week at $10.00 per hour.
- Assist the ASC instructor with the planning and preparation for the course
- Attend all class sessions, demonstrate timeliness, and effective time-management
- Willingness to play an active role in classroom lessons (e.g., help facilitate class discussion, assist instructor with classroom management)
- Maintain regular contact with students
- Serve as an energetic and enthusiastic mentor to help first-year students succeed at CSU
- Develop and maintain relationships with and provide assistance and support for first-year students (focus on a smooth transition, acclimation and a sense of belonging)
- Coordinate multiple out-of-class activities that will acquaint the students with the resources of Cleveland State University and the City of Cleveland
- Assist with the FYE sponsored programs and represent FYE at university-sponsored events such as New Student Orientation.
- Accurately record class and out-of-class activity attendance
- Maintain confidentiality with any shared information
- Attend mandatory bi-weekly meetings with other Peer Mentors and a Graduate Student Supervisor
- Promote professionalism and contributes to a friendly and productive learning environment
- Accurately and honestly record all hours worked on employment platforms
- Upholds all CSU’s and FYE’s policies and expectations
- Be a current undergraduate CSU student in good academic standing with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher
- Must have successfully completed ASC 101 Introduction to University Life and/or at least 30 credit hours by the beginning of the Fall 2021 semester.
- Must be able to attend an Orientation in April 2022 and Training in August, 2022.
- Have a genuine desire to work with students and help them succeed
- Have the ability to relate to students from a variety of backgrounds and abilities
- Have the ability and desire to work as a team member
- Have an understanding and sensitivity towards challenges new students face when transitioning to college
- Be knowledgeable about various resources on campus
- Must exhibit knowledge of time management, organizational and study skills, as well as effective learning habits
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to communicate difficult concepts
- Able to utilize strong critical thinking skills and the creativity to teach others to develop critical thinking skills
- Highly adaptable and willing to learn and implement new strategies for learning
- Utilizes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Blackboard and internet effectively
Peer Mentors have the opportunity to build relationships with new students, develop leadership skills and guide new students through their first semester at Cleveland State.