Chair Responsibilities by Semester
Due Fall Semester:
- Annual meetings with Faculty (Chair/Director)
- Promotion & Tenure and Non-TT reviews
- PLOA requests
- Start workload discussions with faculty (Chair/Director)
- Schedule preparation
Due Spring Semester:
- Workload assignments and notifications
- Merit review and recommendation
- All full time faculty are required to meet with their Chair/Director to discuss their goals for the upcoming academic year.
- For continuing faculty, this meeting is also to revisit the faculty member’s goals from the previous year. These goals are the areas of teaching, service, and research (for TT faculty).
- Based on these meeting faculty are asked to prepare a Faculty Development Plan (FDP).
Promotion and Tenure
- Chairs/Directors/Deans review and write an individual level assessment of faculty probationary reviews in years 3 and 5 for Tenure Track faculty and year 4 for lecturers and professors of practice.
- Chair/Directors/Deans review and write individual level assessments of faculty for Promotion and Tenure and 6th year review and Senior Lecturer/ Full Professor of Practice for Non-Tenure track faculty.
- Chair/Director should maximize the opportunities for your faculty to meet the standards for tenure and promotion or NTT review.
- Realistic teaching assignments
- Observe and give feedback on teaching
- Discuss with faculty their peer and student evaluations
- Suggestion mechanisms for improvement
- Facilitate Peer Reviews
- Research/Scholarship/Creative Activities
- Learn about the faculty’s R/S/CA
- Assist with use of effective use of start-up funds and course buyout timing
- Provide feedback on third-year review
- Involve other faculty in mentoring (dossier preparation, peer evaluations)
- Offer guidance on amount and types of service appropriate for untenured faculty
Professional Leave of Absences
- Faculty apply for PLOA to Department/School by September 15
- Chair/Director initiates a review by faculty committee
- Criterion for faculty committees review are the merits of the proposal, and the maintenance of departmental standards and responsibilities for all ongoing programs.
- Chairs/Directors are responsible for making advance arrangements to provide coverage for the faculty member on PLOA.
- The Chair’s/Director’s evaluation should address the merit of the application and how adequate coverage will be provided during the PLOA.
- Chairs/Directors will consult with Dean’s on their faculty workloads.
- Dean’s make final workload assignment after consulting with the Provost.
- The Dean’s office will provide written approval of each faculty member’s workload.
- Chairs/Directors provide written workload assignments to each faculty member by January 31.
- Dean’s make recommendations to the Provost.
- Some colleges include chairs/directors in the merit process
- Chairs/Directors confirm faculty have submitted eFAAR by April 30th deadline.
- Dean’s Office supervise and review eFAAR completion of Departments/Schools.
- eFAAR information is used to inform both the Chair’s/Director’s and Dean’s input on workload.
- Review faculty members eFAAR to ensure all information is complete.
- If eFAAR is complete and correct, then the eFAAR is approved.
- If eFAAR is incomplete or has errors, then the eFAAR is rejected.