Division of Continuing and Extended Education

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ​​​​​​​Q. What is Continuing and Extended Education?
A. Continuing and/or extended education programs are educational opportunities offered to individuals throughout their lifecycle. These programs cover a range of experiences and interests. Programs may also offer certifications and competency-based credentials.

Cleveland State University’s Division of Continuing and Extended Education offerings are found throughout CSU’s colleges and schools, and provide flexible, innovative options encompassing everything from intimate workshops, to the eLearning classroom, to intensive certificate programs.

Q. What is the difference between professional development and workforce development?
A. Professional development addresses the educational needs of people in a broad range of jobs and career fields, usually through noncredit, nondegree programs. It may include formal coursework, conferences, or seminars taught on different platforms, including distance learning or in the classroom. Workforce development education usually includes programs aimed at providing the skills and knowledge needed for displaced workers or out of work individual’s a job, or help individuals develop industry-specific skills to help advance their compensation opportunities.

Q. Does receiving a certificate make me a “graduate of Cleveland State University?”
A. No. You are only considered a “graduate” of CSU when you earn an academic degree from a degree-granting unit. However, you can earn a certificate from CSU and have the benefit of an educational experience from a highly reputable institution.

Q. Will I earn college credit toward a degree in a continuing education course?
A. You may be able to earn some college credit depending on the program and course. Please refer to the course description to learn more. It is always advisable to contact the program unit that is offering the course you are interested in to see if academic credit is an option.

Q. What is the difference between a certificate program and a certification?
A. Certificate programs are generally nondegree, noncredit professional training or executive education programs that award certificates to participants upon successful completion of one or more modules.

Certification programs are designed to provide training to individuals, who are required to have and maintain specific levels of knowledge and skills in their job categories, often as a legal requirement to perform their duties. Certification programs may or may not carry credits, and maybe prerequisites for licensure.

Q. What is a CEU?
CEU stands for “Continuing Education Unit.” A CEU is a unit of credit equal to 10 hours of participation in a program designed for professionals with certificates or licenses to practice various professions. Such professionals include engineers, financial advisers, accountants and healthcare workers.

Q. What types of noncredit programs are offered?
Literally, hundreds of noncredit programs are offered by continuing education programs in our various colleges and schools including business, counseling education, engineering, liberal arts, urban studies, and sciences and health sciences and our Confucius Institute. Whatever your background or interests – from engineering to music and business to social work – there are courses and programs that can meet your needs or desire for learning.

Q. How do I find programs that are offered online?
The searchable distance learning class link can help you identify noncredit courses that are offered online. A link to distance learning courses is available through the landing page of each college and school and is also available on the Division of Continuing and Community Education Home Page.

Q. I am currently unemployed. Can I receive tuition assistance for continuing education courses or programs?
Workforce grants may be available, but vary by each county. Be sure to check with your counties' unemployment and or one-stop center for specific details. For a full listing of training grants available in Ohio visit the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services Office of Workforce Development (OHD) program website at http://jfs.ohio.gov/owd/Program/index.stm