UPPER AND LOWER DIVISIONs Available
Choose Ohio First: Success in Mathematics (COF-Math) is a state-funded scholarship and academic program for undergraduate students in STEMM (Computer Science, Health Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine) majors. It is designed to recruit and retain more Ohio students into STEMM fields. The name Student Success in Mathematics comes from the fact that a sound mathematical background is important for each of the STEMM fields.
Eligible majors include all engineering disciplines, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and other related fields. Students planning a career as a high school math teacher are also eligible as they will major in mathematics or a similar discipline. Note that having a math major is not a requirement for this program.
Scholarship awards range from $1,500 to $7,000 per student, per academic year, towards the cost of tuition. The actual amount awarded is based on financial need. Scholarships are renewable to cover all four years of an undergraduate degree, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
In addition to financial awards, students in the program participate in weekly cohort meetings on a variety of topics, including STEMM speakers from industry and academia and academic skill workshops. There are also social activities to strengthen the cohort connection.
Students work in groups each year to complete a research poster and develop technical communication skills by presenting it at the annual poster conference sponsored jointly by the Choose Ohio First Student Success in Math programs at Cleveland State University, Case Western Reserve University, Cuyahoga Community College, Kent State University and Youngstown State University. Click here to see our poster archive.
Students also receive intensive academic advising through the University Scholars program.
Who Can Apply?
- Be an entering freshman student or a transfer student who will first enroll Spring 2018 or Fall 2018, or come from a COF-Math Program at a partner school
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEMM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or medicine) major
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.25 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1650 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF-Math program requirements
- Not already be receiving a full scholarship
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid (www.fafsa.ed.gov)
- Be registered, or will register, for MTH 181 (or have credit for MTH 181 and be registered/will register for a more advanced MTH course) for Fall semester
*Please note that programs designated as "Upper Level" are only open to incoming transfer students or current Choose Ohio First Scholars already participating in another program
*The Choose Ohio First program is only for students pursuing a first time undergraduate degree. Post-baccalaureate students are ineligible for this program.
What are the Program Requirements?
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in a STEMM major (Typically 15 credit hours per semester)
- Attend at least 5 cohort meetings per semester (Thursdays, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- Complete a group research poster each spring and present it at our annual Research Poster Conference
- Meet with assigned advisor at least once a semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Make progress toward a STEMM degree
- Have a 4-year graduation plan approved by your major advisor (Exceptions may be made for dual majors, students participating in a co-op, etc.)
How Do I Apply?
Incoming first year students (freshmen whose first term is Spring 2018 or Fall 2018) may apply at the following link:
New transfer students (transfers whose first term is Spring 2018 or Fall 2018) may apply at the following link:
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Kiril Streletzky, Director of COF-Math