LOWER DIVISION PROGRAM
Choose Ohio First: Life Sciences Pipeline (COF-Life) is a state-funded scholarship and academic program for undergraduate students in STEM majors. The goal of the program is to recruit and retain more Ohio students into the STEM fields with a focus on life sciences.
Eligible majors include Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Health Science, Nursing, Pharmaceutical Science, and Communication Sciences & Disorders. Students planning a career as a high school science teacher are also eligible as they will major in one of the science disciplines.
Scholarship awards range from $2,000 to $5,000 per student, per academic year, toward the cost of tuition. The actual amount awarded is based on financial need. Scholarships are renewable to cover all four years of an undergraduate degree, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
In addition to financial awards, students in the program participate in weekly cohort meetings on a variety of topics, including speakers from healthcare, industry, and academia. There are also social activities to strengthen the cohort connection.
Students work in groups each year to complete a research poster and develop technical communication skills by presenting it at the annual CSU Research Day poster conference.
Students also receive academic advising and support through the University Scholars program.
Who Can Apply?
To be considered you must:
- Be an entering freshman student or a transfer student
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEM major (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Health Science, Nursing, Pharmaceutical Science, or Communication Sciences & Disorders)
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.25 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1300 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF-Life program requirements
- Not already be receiving a full tuition scholarship
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid (https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa)
*Please note that programs designated as "Upper Level" are only open to incoming transfer students or current Choose Ohio First Scholars already participating in another program
*The Choose Ohio First program is only for students pursuing a first time undergraduate degree. Post-baccalaureate students are ineligible for this program.
What are the Program Requirements?
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in a STEM major (Typically 15 credit hours per semester)
- Attend at least 5 cohort meetings per semester
- Complete a group research poster each spring and present it at our annual Research Day Poster Conference
- Meet with assigned advisor at least once a semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Make progress toward a STEM degree
- Have a 4-year graduation plan approved by your major advisor (Exceptions may be made for dual majors, students participating in a co-op, etc.)
How Do I Apply?
Application for new freshman students beginning Spring 2024 or Fall 2024:
Application for new transfer students beginning Spring 2024 or Fall 2024:
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Anne Su, Director of COF-Life