The Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program is a state-funded program aimed at graduating more students in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM). The State of Ohio recognizes that a workforce trained in these areas is essential for strengthening our economy.
At CSU, Choose Ohio First scholars are pursing degrees in biology, chemistry, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, physics, science, technology and related fields. Students interested in teaching a STEMM discipline also qualify for the scholarship program.
Scholarship awards range from $1,500 to $7,000 per student, per academic year, towards the cost of tuition. The actual amount awarded is based on financial need, with all elligible students awarded at least $1,500 per academic year. Scholarships may be awarded even if a student is already receiving scholarship support from other programs (Honors, Voyager, Athletics, etc.). Scholarships are renewable to cover all four years of an undergraduate degree, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
Choose Ohio First scholars are provided various forms of support and enrichment as they work towards completing their undergraduate degree. A faculty advisor is assigned to lead each cohort and will serve as a mentor for scholars. Engagement offerings vary by track, but may include advising, tutoring, peer mentoring, support for undergraduate research, and exposure to community service opportunities. There are also social activities to strengthen the cohort connection.
Who Can Apply?
- Be a new entering freshman student or a transfer student for Spring 2018 or Fall 2018
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEMM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics, nursing or medicine) major
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.25 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1650 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF program requirements
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid
- Not already be receiving a full scholarship
*Please note that programs designated as "Upper Level" are only open to incoming transfer undergraduate students or current Choose Ohio First Scholars already participating in another program
General Program Requirements:
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in a STEMM major (Typically 15 credit hours per semester)
- Participate in required cohort activities (i.e.- meetings, poster sessions, etc.)
- Meet with assigned advisor at least once a semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Make progress toward a STEMM degree
- Have a 4-year graduation plan approved by your major advisor (Exceptions may be made for dual majors, students participating in a co-op, etc.)
How Do I Apply?
Incoming first year students (freshmen whose first term is Spring 2018 or Fall 2018) may apply at the following link:
New transfer students (transfers whose first term is Spring 2018 or Fall 2018) may apply at the following link:
Residential Option Available:
Reasons to love living in Fenn Tower/on the STEM Floor:
- Traditional residence hall experience
- Strong, tight-knit community
- Living amongst students with similar classes, majors, and academic goals!
- In-hall convenience store located on the first floor
- Lounges, classrooms, and study rooms right in the building
- Fully furnished units with in-suite bathrooms
Here’s what Fenn Tower residents had to say!
“I love the closeness that everyone has in the building. There isn’t a day that I walk in or out and don’t run into someone I know. Everyone on my floor is amazing—we are all like a big family!”
“I absolutely love the setup of my room and the view of the West side is spectacular!”
“Being so close to downtown Cleveland is an incredible feeling! I can look out of the window of the common room and see the life of the city. I live with an amazing roommate and have made friends with those on my floor that I know will be lifelong friendships”
“The atmosphere is very inviting and welcoming, and the rooms are nice and spacious”
“I like being surrounded by a lot of people to socialize with and ask for help in my classes if I need it. It’s like a small community right outside of my door”
“The floor plan gives everyone so many options to meet new people. The rooms are very nice and I like the amenities that it provides”
Available Tracks & Elligible Majors:
|CSU Choose Ohio First Programs||Academic Areas|
|Life Science Pipeline (UPPER & LOWER DIVISIONS)||Biology, Environmental Science, Health Sciences, Pre-professional|
|Student Success in Mathematics (UPPER & LOWER DIVISIONS)||Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Pre-STEMM Education|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) (UPPER & LOWER DIVISIONS)||Nursing|
|Pre-Professional Programs (UPPER DIVISION ONLY)||Pre-med, NEOMED/CSU Partnership|
|Improving STEMM Teacher Preparation: A Long Term Investment (D-STEM) (UPPER DIVISION ONLY)||STEMM Teacher Education|