According to the Center on Education and the Workforce, 8 million new jobs will be available in STEMM-related fields by 2018. The Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program is part of the state's strategic effort to significantly strengthen Ohio's position in world markets such as aerospace, medicine, computer technology and alternative energy.
The Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program is a state-funded program aimed at graduating more students in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM). The State of Ohio recognizes that a workforce trained in these areas is essential for strengthening our economy.
At CSU, STEMM scholars are pursing degrees in biology, chemistry, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, physics, science, technology and related fields. Students interested in teaching a STEMM discipline also qualify for the scholarship program.
Scholarships can range between $1,500 - $7,000. These scholarships are renewable and may be awarded even if a student is already receiving scholarship support from other programs (Honors, Voyager, Athletics, etc.). Scholarships are for tuition, so a student with a full tuition scholarship is not eligible. Among students selected to become Choose Ohio First scholars, award amounts are determined based upon unmet financial need with all eligible students awarded at least $1,500 per academic year.
Choose Ohio First is ideal for full-time undergraduate students who would most likely not have the opportunity to pursue a STEMM degree or would struggle to complete a degree.
Students who benefit are:
- Students who would normally go out-of-state for a STEMM degree
- Students interested in STEMM but who choose a different major
- Non-traditional students seeking to enhance or change their career
- Former military personnel
- Persons working in industry
- Populations underrepresented in the STEMM disciplines
STEMM scholars are required to take part in regular activities. Activities vary by track but may include advising, tutoring, community service, peer mentoring and undergraduate research.
Who can apply?
- Be a new entering freshman student or a transfer student for Fall or Summer 2017
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEMM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics, nursing or medicine) major
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1650 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF program requirements
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid
- Not already be receiving a full scholarship
To apply as a incoming student (freshmen whose first term is Fall or Summer 2017), complete the form at this link:
To apply as a new transfer student ((transfers whose first term is Fall 2017 or Summer 2017) ) complete the form at this link:
|CSU Choose Ohio First Programs||Academic Areas|
|Bioscience and Healthcare||Biology, Chemistry, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Psychology, Physics|
|Life Science Pipeline||Biology, Health Sciences, Environmental Science|
|Student Success in Mathematics||Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Education, Engineering, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics|
|Improving STEMM Teacher Preparation: A Long Term Investment (D-STEM)||STEMM Teacher Education|
|Engineering Across the Pipeline||Engineering, Physical Sciences|
|Pre-Professional Programs||Pre-med, NEOMED/CSU Partnership|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)||Nursing|