The Viking Card will be issued to you when you first register for classes at Cleveland State University or upon employment. It is your official identification card and is valid as long as you are a registered student or employed at the University. The Viking Card is also issued to individuals affiliated with Cleveland State University, based on specific criteria.
- A valid government issued photo ID must be shown before a Viking Card will be issued. Students must be enrolled for classes for the current semester in order to receive a Viking Card.
- New employees will not be able to receive their IDs until Human Resources finishes processing their paperwork.
- The Viking Card Office will not issue an ID to employees prior to their actual payroll appointment date.
- Each student, employee, and affiliate carry’s only one active card. Employees who are not taking classes do not receive a student Viking Card. Individuals appointed as graduate research assistants (GA) and graduate teaching assistants (TA) are issued a student Viking Card. Emeritus and retirees of Cleveland State University are also issued a Viking Card.
- The name printed on the Viking Card is the individual's official name as recorded in Cleveland State University databases.
- For students, the seven digit student ID number is printed on the front of the Viking Card and is encoded on the magnetic strip on the back of the card.
- No profiles, hats, headbands, sunglasses, etc. are allowed when your photograph is taken for the Viking Card.
- The Viking Card is property of Cleveland State University and is non-transferable. It must be carried at all times and presented and/or surrendered to University officials upon request. Unauthorized use warrants confiscation and/or disciplinary action.
- Your Viking Card does not expire. If you leave the University, keep your Viking Card. It will not be valid for campus privileges unless you return to the University as an employee or registered student.
- If a person is not an active student for 18 consecutive months or longer than the replacement fee may be waived.
- If your Viking Card is replaced due to theft or loss, it is de-activated and cannot be reactivated should you find it at a later date.
All Cardholders pay $20 for replacement of lost or stolen cards. A name change or replacement due to normal wear and tear will have no fee assessed to the cardholder upon surrendering the original card to the Viking Card ID Office. If you do not have the card at the time of reissuance the replacement fee will be applied.
- Your digital photograph will be printed on the face of your Viking Card and will be stored in the Viking Card database.
- A new picture will be taken only if there has been a significant change in your appearance.
- Photo images captured for the identification card become part of the cardholders’ educational record, therefore may be used for official University business.
Cleveland State University Viking Card ID Office and its personnel are not liable for financial or criminal repercussions associated with lost, stolen, damaged, or fraudulent use of Viking Cards, departmental cards, copy cards and employee badges.
Personal information is kept secure and confidential at the Viking Card ID Office. Outside parties are not privileged to personal or account information unless express consent is granted or the University is required to comply with legal or government agencies.
The magnetic stripe on the back of your Viking Card can be used for a variety of things: checking out materials at the Libraries, meal plans and food purchases and bookstore purchases.
Meal Plan Policy
Meal plan balance will be restored when a new card is issued
Replacement Cards and Photos Policy
- Lost/stolen Card Replacement fee is $20 and is payable at the time of re-issuance on line at https://www.csuohio.edu/vikingcard/lost-or-stolen-viking-card
- Cardholders must present a valid government issued photo ID when picking up a replacement card
- Damage Card Replacement due to normal wear and tear or a name change will have no fee assessed to the cardholder upon surrendering the original card to the Viking Card ID Office. If you do not have the card at the time of reissuance the replacement fee will be applied.
- Cardholders will not be allowed to wear any article of clothing or eyewear that in the judgement of the carding staff obscures his/her physical features. Any exceptions to this judgement above will be made on a case-per-case basis.
- Do not punch holders, affix non-University stickers or in any other way make modifications to your Viking Card. You will be charged the replacement fee.
- Do not lend your Viking Card to others.
- Do not punch holes, affix stickers, or in any other way make modifications to your Viking Card. Such practices may create problems when trying to use your card for Official University business, vending, parking or card swipe functions
- University departments are encouraged not to retain a Viking Card in exchange for reference materials and/or product check out to an individual. If they do retain a Viking Card and would happen to lose it, they will be responsible for covering the replacement fee.
- If a card is found, return it to Cleveland State University, Viking Card ID Office, 2121 Euclid Ave. BH 112 Cleveland,Ohio 44115.