All international students (F-1 & J-1visas)are required to carry health insurance while attending Cleveland State University. Your Treasury Service account will be billed for the UnitedHealthcare Student Health Insurance Plan upon registration for classes.
International students are required to buy the CSU health insurance policy. Students may not purchase insurance from an outside carrier.
CSU Health Insurance Waivers
Waivers from the university health care policy are granted only in the following situations:
- You have insurance coverage because you are sponsored by the U.S. Government, your country's government, or the U.N.
- You have insurance coverage because a parent works in the U.S., your spouse works in the U.S. or you work in the U.S. (Employment will be verified)
- You are currently in the U.S. with a minor F-2 dependent and must be insured by another carrier in order to secure appropriate coverage for your dependent. (Dependent will be verified)
- You are a Canadian Citizen or Resident
The deadline to waive is the end of the second week of classes, there are NO exceptions to the deadline. In addition for F1 visa students, your current policy must meet the following CSU minimum requirements:
- Medical Benefits of at least 80% of first $250,000 of covered expense
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of at least $10,000
- Expenses for Medical Evacuation to home Country at least $15,000
- Deductible of no greater than $500 per calendar year
- Co-payment or coinsurance not to exceed 20% of covered expenses
- Company who provides the coverage has required rating & US phone number
How do I waive the CSU health insurance? It's simple!
- Go to studentcenter.uhscr.com/csuohio.
- Click on the 2019-2020 Cleveland State University International Student Waiver form link: follow all the instructions on the waiver site.
- Print a copy for your records of your waiver submission.
- Please keep in mind that a completed waiver is not a guarantee that your health insurance will be waived.
- Your insurance must meet all the requirements in order to be waived.
- Your health insurance is successfully waived when the charge no longer appears on your CampusNet account.
- Waiver deadline dates
- Fall – 9/13/19
- Spring/Summer – 1/31/20
- Summer – 6/1/20