The purpose of the policy is to promote the free exchange of ideas on University property and the safe and efficient operation of the University by:
- Fostering free speech, assembly and other expressive activities on University property by all persons, whether or not they are affiliated with the University.
- Maintaining an appropriate educational and work environment for all persons present on University property, including but not limited to students, faculty, employees, customers and visitors.
- Maintaining the personal security of all persons present on University property and protecting the property of the University and of persons present on University property.
- Adopting a policy on harassment that is consistent with and adheres strictly to its definition in Ohio Revised Code Section 3345.0211 and providing guidelines in accordance with Ohio Revised Code Sections 3345.0211 to 3345.0214, known as the Forming Open and Robust University Minds Act or the Forum Act.
“Expressive activity” means any non-commercial lawful verbal, written, audiovisual or electronic means by which individuals may communicate ideas, including all form of peaceable assembly, protests, speeches, distribution of literature, carrying and displaying signs, and circulating petitions.
Please refer to the resources below regarding expressive activities on campus.
Members of the CSU community may submit an anonymous or public complaint about an alleged policy violation via Concerned Vikes.
- Cleveland State Univeristy Expressive Activity Policy
- Expressive Activity Procedures
- Ohio Revised Code / Section 3345.0211 | Expressive activities on campus - definitions, supersession.
- Ohio Revised Code / Section 3345.0212 | Noncommercial expressive activities on campus.
- Ohio Revised Code / Section 3345.0213 | Outdoor campus areas as public forums; no freespeech zones.
- Ohio Revised Code / Section 3345.0214 | Reports.