Choose Ohio First: Success in Mathematics is a state-funded scholarship and academic program for undergraduate students in STEMM (Computer Science, Health Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine) majors. It is designed to recruit and retain more Ohio students into STEMM fields. The name Success in Mathematics comes from the fact that a sound mathematical background is important for each of the STEMM fields.
Eligible majors include all engineering disciplines, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, health sciences and nursing. Those who plan on a career as a high school math or science teacher will have eligible majors since they will major in mathematics or one of the science disciplines. Note that a math major is not a requirement for this program.
Scholarship awards range from $1,500 to $5,200 per student, per academic year, toward the cost of instruction (tuition, books, room and board). The actual amount awarded is based on financial need. Scholarships are renewable to cover all four years of an undergraduate degree, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
In addition to financial awards, students in the program participate in weekly cohort meetings on a variety of topics, including STEMM speakers from industry and academia and academic skill workshops. There are also social activities to strengthen the cohort connection.
Students work in groups each year to complete a research poster and develop technical communication skills by presenting it at the annual poster conference sponsored jointly by the Choose Ohio First Success in Math programs at Cleveland State University, Case Western Reserve University, Cuyahoga Community College, Kent State University and Youngstown State University. Click here to see our poster archive.
Students also receive intensive academic advising through the University Scholars program.
Who can apply?
- Be an entering freshman student or a transfer student from a COF Success in Math Program at a partner school
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEMM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or medicine) major
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1650 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF Success in Math program requirements
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid
- Be registered, or will register, for MTH 181 or beyond for Fall semester
What are the program requirements?
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in a STEMM major
- Attend at least 5 cohort meetings per semester (Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- Complete a group research poster each spring and present it at our annual Research Poster Conference
- Meet with assigned advisor at least once a semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Make progress toward a STEMM degree
How do I apply?
- Applications will be posted when availability of state funding is confirmed
- Include copy of high school/transfer transcripts (unofficial transcript is okay)
- Applications after the deadline will be considered if funds are still available
ATTN: Choose Ohio First
Cleveland State University,
2121 Euclid Avenue MC 106,
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
Fax to: 216-687-5552
Email to: email@example.com with subject line "Choose Ohio First"
For more information about the program, please contact:
Dr. Leah Gold
Campus location: Rhodes Tower, Room 1506