UPPER AND LOWER DIVISIONs available
Choose Ohio First: Life Sciences Pipeline (COF-Life) is a state-funded scholarship and academic program for undergraduate students in STEMM (Health Science pre-Professional, Biology, and Environmental Science) majors. The goal of the program is to recruit and retain more Ohio students into the STEMM fields with a focus on life sciences. Students may continue in the COF-Life Sciences track until graduation, or move to one of the other upper division COF tracks such as nursing, STEMM education, or pre-professional education.
Eligible majors include all health sciences majors, biology, and environmental science. Those who plan on a career as a high school science teacher will be eligible since they will major in one of the science disciplines.
Scholarship awards range from $1,500 to $7,000 per student, per academic year, toward the cost of tuition. The actual amount awarded is based on financial need. Scholarships are renewable to cover all four years of an undergraduate degree, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
In addition to financial awards, students in the program participate in weekly cohort meetings on a variety of topics, including speakers from healthcare, industry, and academia. There are also social activities to strengthen the cohort connection.
Students work in groups each year to complete a research poster and develop technical communication skills by presenting it at the annual CSU Research Day poster conference.
Students also receive academic advising and support through the University Scholars program.
Who Can Apply?
- Be an entering freshman student or a transfer student who will first enroll Spring 2018 or Fall 2018
- Be an Ohio resident
- Have an undergraduate degree plan for a STEMM (Health Science, Biology, or Environmental Science) major
- Have a high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or ACT score of 27 or higher, or SAT score of 1650 or higher
- Have a commitment to COF-Life program requirements
- Not already be receiving a full scholarship
- Have a current FAFSA on file with Financial Aid (www.fafsa.ed.gov)
What are the Program Requirements?
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in a STEMM major
- Attend at least 5 cohort meetings per semester (Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- Complete a group research poster each spring and present it at our annual Research Day Poster Conference
- Meet with assigned advisor at least once a semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Make progress toward a STEMM degree
How Do I Apply
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are closed at this time. The application for the 2018-2019 academic year will open on Friday, November 3rd, 2017.
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Anne Su, Director of COF-Life