Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

Frequently Asked Questions

What requirements must I meet to be considered an Ohio resident for tuition purposes?

Applicants must have attended and graduated from an Ohio high school or qualify through one of the various guidelines established by the Ohio Board of Regents. For a complete list of the guidelines view the Ohio Residency Guidelines

Should I complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

No, the FAFSA application applies to federal student aid. Current U.S. laws dictate that undocumented students, even if they have a Deferred Action (DACA) approval, are not eligible for grants and scholarships at the federal level. This includes federal Pell grants or federally-backed loans or work-study positions. 

My DACA application is currently in process.  Can I apply for admission now? 

You may apply for admission, but you will not be considered for Ohio residency classification (in-state tuition rates) without documentation of DACA approval
(Form I-821D).

I have other questions.  Who can help?

Contact Campus 411, All-In-One Enrollment Services by phone 216-687-5411, email, or in person in Main Classroom 116, 2121 Euclid Avenue. A staff member will help get answers to your questions and support you through the process.

What is the process to obtain in state residency?

DACA and Undocumented Students and Specific Fields of Study

Please be aware that undocumented students, including DACA students, may face barriers in completing certain programs of study. For example, programs that require a practicum or licensure (ex: secondary teaching, nursing, clinical psychology, pharmacy, physician’s assistant, law, and medicine) may be restricted to U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents because of existing Ohio statute or regulation. Contact your academic advisor for more information.