All international students must show financial support for one academic year. Financial documentation must be presented in order for Cleveland State University to issue an I-20 (F1 visas) or DS 2019 (J1 visas) form. The financial verification and I-20 or DS 2019 must be presented at the US Embassy or consulate when applying for either an F-1 or J-1 Visa. Please have two original financial documents prepared:
- One for Cleveland State University and
- One to present to the US Embassy or Consulate.
All documents MUST be original, dated, and issued within the past year.
The following documents or combinations of documents are acceptable:
- An original bank statement in your name, which indicates the amount of funds available.
- An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor or parent) that indicates the amount available accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor of his or her intention to provide support.The bank statement MUST indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone, FAX number and street address.
- A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention to provide support. The guarantor's salary must show his/her ability to provide the amount of the promised support.
- A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring agency that indicates the amount available and additional provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing instructions. You should also send a copy to Office of Treasury Services on campus once you arrive in order for the billing to take place.
If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other than US dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange rate on the day we receive your financial support documents.
Documents NOT accepted:
- Statements verifying employment and salary
- Insurance premiums and policies
- Property or personal assets (automobiles, land, buildings, jewelry, etc.)
- Lines of credit
- Assets such as stocks, bonds, equities, retirement accounts
- Income tax returns
- Attestations stating only that a sponsor can meet the expenses without providing accompanying bank statements
Listed below are the procedures necessary to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility (the SEVIS I-20 for F-1 student status). The process for issuing your Certificate of Eligibility will begin once you have been admitted to the University and have submitted the necessary documentation to our office. If you are currently holding an F-1 Student Visa and are transferring from another US Institution to CSU you still need to follow this procedure.
ALL STUDENTS – We are required by the Department of Homeland Security/US Citizenship and Immigration Services to carefully check the financial ability of each student prior to requesting approval to issue your SEVIS I-20. Therefore, it is important that you are aware of the cost of attending CSU and that you have all necessary funds to support yourself. You must comply with the following procedures:
- Meet the annual estimate of costs.
- Submit Financial Documents to:
Office of International Admissions
2121 Euclid Avenue, UN 443
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Or email your documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Financial Documents will be reviewed by the Office of International Admissions to determine your ability to meet the financial obligation while you are attending the University. If your Financial Document is not approved or if there are additional questions, you will be notified by email.
TRANSFER STUDENTS: The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) require that you obtain a release from your current institution before your new I-20 is issued. Once you are admitted to Cleveland State University and receive your admission letter, please contact your immigration advisor at your current school and requested that your I-20 be transferred to Cleveland State University.
MARRIED STUDENTS: A married student who plans to bring his/her dependents will require an additional $3,500 for the spouse, $2,000 for the 1st child, and $1,500 for each additional child. These amounts should be added to the total number under the appropriate column. Additional insurance for family of F-1 students is optional but highly recommended. F-2 dependents are not permitted to work or enroll in classes.
ENROLLMENT: Immigration regulations require that all students are enrolled full-time. Students who are admitted to the summer semester must enroll full-time for that semester and subsequent terms.
Undergraduate = at least 12 credit hours per semester
Graduate = at least 9 credit hours per semester
- All banks, scholarships, and sponsor letters must be:
a. Original with original signatures
b. Specify the amount of funding available to you
c. Currency other that US Dollars please indicate equivalency
d. Copies, faxes, and emails will be accepted only if they are legible.
- Letters must be current. Correspondence older than 6 months from expected entry date will not be accepted
- Your name must appear on bank, scholarship, and sponsor letters.
- The funding you demonstrate must be sufficient to meet the costs of attending Cleveland State University as specified.
Failure to comply with any of the above conditions may delay the issuance of the I-20. Cleveland State University is unable to provide scanned or photocopied I-20s. Original I-20s can either be picked up in person at Campus411 or sent by regular or express mail.
For questions about new I-20s please contact email@example.com.
For questions about transfer I-20s please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.