Work Zone at East 22nd Street Also Will Close Sidewalk and Crosswalks
The construction of Cleveland State University’s new health sciences building at the site across from the Student Center will necessitate closing parts of Euclid Avenue and sidewalks to install underground utilities, in two phases.
During the first phase, the westbound vehicle lanes and bus-only lanes of Euclid Avenue and a portion of the north sidewalk between East 21st Street and East 22nd Street will be closed starting Tuesday, March 18. One lane of Euclid will remain open for eastbound vehicles, including RTA buses and trolleys.
The road and sidewalk closures will affect vehicular traffic as well as pedestrian traffic. Please allow additional time to reach CSU buildings within the vicinity, including the Student Center and Main Classroom Building.
For the safety of CSU students, faculty and staff as well as campus visitors, fences will surround the entire work zone. PLEASE ADHERE TO ALL POSTED SIGNS AND WARNINGS.
Within the construction area, keep the following in mind:
- The Euclid Avenue detour for westbound vehicles, including RTA buses and trolleys, will redirect traffic north on East 22nd Street, west on Chester Avenue and south on East 21st Street before returning to Euclid. Eastbound vehicles, including RTA buses and trolleys, will converge in a single lane on Euclid.
- From the Student Center main entry and heading west along Euclid Avenue, the north sidewalk will remain OPEN.
- From the Student Center main entry and heading east along Euclid Avenue, the north sidewalk will be CLOSED.
- The crosswalk on the north side of Euclid Avenue at East 22nd Street will be CLOSED.
- The crosswalk on the west side of East 22nd Street at Euclid Avenue will be CLOSED.
- Pedestrians who wish to cross Euclid Avenue must cross at the East 21st Street intersection or at the eastern corners of East 22nd Street and Euclid Avenue, by the Main Classroom Building and Trinity Cathedral.
The first phase is expected to be completed by Friday, April 4.
The next phase of the project, scheduled for April 7-18, will close the eastbound vehicle lanes of Euclid Avenue and the south sidewalk between East 21st Street and East 22nd Street. Further information on this phase will be forthcoming.