Students who prepare for their advising appointments will find their meetings to be more informative, efficient, and helpful.
PREPARING FOR YOUR ADVISING APPOINTMENT:
- Schedule your advising appointment as soon as possible whenever you need any assistance. Advisors' schedules fill up quickly, especially during peak registration times.
- For appointments related to registering and/or selecting classes, try to plan ahead by reviewing your Degree Audit and/or Degree Map to identify requirements/courses you still need.
- Use Schedule Planner to select potential courses and generate class schedule options to review with your FY advisor during your scheduled advising appointment.
- Bring a list of questions or concerns you would like to discuss and any documents you and your advisor have worked from in the past.
THE ADVISING SESSION
- Be actively engaged in the meeting!
- Be honest and realistic as you discuss your concerns and questions.
- Share your goals and educational priorities.
- Follow up on previous recommendations in a timely manner.
- Be open-minded. Consider the possible alternatives offered to you by your advisor.
- Feel free to discuss academic issues and questions with your advisor. It is easier for advisors to help if they have a full understanding of what your concerns are.
- Take responsibility for learning and complying with college requirements, policies and procedures.
- Honestly communicate your unique interests, values, abilities and circumstances with your advisor.
- Take responsibility for achieving your success and accept the consequences of your academic and personal choices.
- Regularly meet with your advisor to review your academic progress.