The Office of the University Architect (OUA) manages renovation and new construction projects campus-wide at Cleveland State University. Please take some time to review our list of Current Projects and Construction Notices. OUA is part of the Facilities and Safety Team (FAST), and is committed to serving CSU's campus in alignment with CSU and FAST Mission Statements.
FAST Mission Statement
The Facilities and Safety Team is comprised of highly-engaged professionals who provide customer-focused facilities and safety services to assure that CSU is successful at achieving its academic, financial and community goals.
Unauthorized construction work (renovations, improvements, maintenance) on campus creates significant exposures for the University in three ways:
- Injury or death to individuals who are not properly trained to undertake the construction activities.
- Liability related property damage, compromised building controls, unsafe changes to building systems, personnel working out of classification, and denial of insurance claims.
- Risk denial of CSU’s Administrative Authority granted by the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission and exposure to compromising State statutes or State permit requirements.
Similarly, unauthorized contractors and their employees also pose a threat to campus personnel and campus infrastructure.
Therefore, in our continuing effort to provide a safe campus environment, the Department of Facilities and Safety (FAST) has developed a plan to curtail the exposures associated with unauthorized construction. The salient points of the plan are noted below:
- All construction projects will be initiated via a FAST Service Request.
- Contractors and their employees:
- Will attend a CSU safety class before working at CSU.
- Will be issued photo identification cards to be visibly warn at all times.
- “FAST Project Permit” (bright red half sheet form) will be posted at jobsites.
- FAST members will be trained to look for ID’s and project permits.
- Project Managers will promptly address violators.
- CSU personnel engaged in unauthorized construction will continue to be referred to their supervisor(s), Office of University Compliance, and Human Resources for appropriate action.
While the Facilities and Safety Team will routinely monitor the campus to ensure that construction work done on campus is authorized, we ask that should you observe unauthorized work or contractors, please contact 687-2500 (8am – 5pm M-F) or 687-2020, so we can take immediate action.
Thank you for your attention to these new procedures that we believe will make a safer and more secure university environment for all.