Paying for Your Education –
OPTIONS AND DEADLINES
FILING FOR FINANCIAL AID
Financial Aid is monetary assistance that is provided to help bridge the gap between your personal financial resources and the amount of money needed to pay the cost of college. Approximately 86 percent of Cleveland State University students receive some form of financial assistance. The University participates in or administers federal and state grant and loan programs.
In addition, CSU provides University grants, scholarships and student employment opportunities.
When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are essentially applying for all types of financial aid including:
- Grants : Grants do not have to be repaid and are based on financial need
- Federal Work-Study :Federal Work-Study is a federal financial aid program that helps students meet educational expenses through work opportunities. The award is based on financial need.
- Loans : Loans are borrowed money that you repay with interest to the lender
Applying for Financial Aid
The first step in the process is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for grants and self-help programs (Federal Work-Study and loans). You must file a FAFSA every year to be considered for financial aid. You can complete your FAFSA on or after October 1, each year.
For more information, visit www.csuohio.edu/financialaid.
- Begin the financial aid process as soon after October 1 as possible. Only admitted students will receive information regarding their financial aid status from CSU. Freshmen must file the 2017-2018 FAFSA.
- All transfer students should complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA. If you are transferring to begin summer 2017, you also need to file the 2016-2017 FAFSA. Students who filed the FAFSA but did not include CSU as a receiving school should access their FAFSA online and add CSU as a receiving school. To add Cleveland State, the federal code is 003032. Once your request is processed and you are admitted, CSU will then be allowed to access your FAFSA and review your eligibility for financial aid.
- If you received financial aid at a different institution for part of the academic year, financial aid offered for the remainder of the year at that school is not transferable. Be sure you file the FAFSA for the correct academic year that you will be in attendance.
- Financial aid you received at your prior institution may affect your financial aid eligibility at CSU.
- Your financial aid loan eligibility is determined in part based on your transfer credit evaluation. If additional credits are transferable to CSU, a student may be eligible for additional borrowing. Contact All-in-1 Enrollment Services for information.
- Student-athletes are encouraged to file a FAFSA to determine their financial eligibility. Athletes are eligible for all federal and state aid; however, NCAA rules and regulations govern the administration of all types of aid. Athletic aid is considered part of the overall financial aid package. For more information on NCAA compliance, visit www.csuvikings.com.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU FILE YOUR FAFSA
- You will receive a Student Aid Report confirmation after your FAFSA has been processed
- FAFSA Verification : Each year, the U.S. Department of Education selects one-third of financial aid applicants for a process called verification. Verification is a process to make sure accurate information is being provided on the FAFSA. If selected, you will be asked to provide copies of documents, including signed federal tax transcripts and a verification worksheet. Retain copies of any federal tax returns, untaxed benefit statements, and asset information that you used to complete your FAFSA. Forms for verification can be found on the Financial Aid page. Financial aid applicants may check their financial aid status, including any required documentation still needed to determine eligibility, online on CampusNet.
Financial Aid Office Communications
- Be sure to check your CSU e-mail account regularly. University-assigned student e-mail accounts are Cleveland State University’s official means of communication with all students. You are responsible for all information sent to your CSU e-mail account. If you choose to forward your University e-mail account, you are still responsible for all the information the University sent to you.
- Keep track of your email and read the information sent to you
- Important documents may also be sent to your permanent mailing address. Please be sure your permanent, and, if applicable, your local address, are correct as listed with the University Registrar’s Office.
- Once a decision has been made regarding your financial aid eligibility you will receive an e-mail directing you to log on to CampusNet where you can view your financial aid award and accept or decline aid that has been offered. In addition, a hard copy financial aid award letter will be mailed to your home address. Information on tuition and an estimated cost of attendance is available at www.csuohio.edu/financialaid.
Scholarships do not have to be repaid and are based on many factors, including academic merit and/or financial need.
Scholarships for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students
- Incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for scholarships once they are admitted to CSU. In some cases, academic department scholarships will require a separate application. All students are encouraged to file the FAFSA, but the FAFSA is not required for scholarship consideration.
A list of scholarships offered to students is available online at www.csuohio.edu/freshmenscholarships. For a list of online resources for scholarship searches and a list of outside scholarships resources, visit www.csuohio.edu/financialaid
If you are on campus, stop by the All-in-1 Enrollment Services Office, located in Main Classroom (MC), Room 116. All-in-1 is our service center where specialists are available to answer all your financial aid questions.
Financial Aid Office
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, UN301
Cleveland, Ohio 44115-2214