INTRODUCTION TO ARCGIS I (GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS)
Registration: Currently not available.
Future GIS Workshops: Sign up to receive emails about future ArcGIS workshops.
Location: Levin College Computer Lab - UR40 Levin College of Urban Affairs, 1717 Euclid Ave Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Course Fee: Standard Rate: $495 / CSU Student Rate: $295 / CSU Alumni Rate: $395 / Group Rate: $395
Payment Methods: Major credit cards, corporate checks, and staff development funds welcome. Read more. »
Intro to ArcGIS I introduces participants to ArcGIS and its component applications. The course covers fundamental GIS concepts as well as how to create, edit, and work with georeferenced spatial data. Participants become familiar with the ArcGIS graphical user interface (GUI), and learn how to manipulate tabular data, query a GIS database, and present data clearly and efficiently using maps and charts.
Space is limited, so early registration is encouraged.
Participants learn how to use ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and ArcToolbox and explore how these applications work together to provide a complete GIS software solution. In addition participants will gain practical experince with the following ArcGIS components:
- ArcGIS Overview: Capabilities and applications; interacting with the interface; controlling the display characteristics of data layers.
- Thematic Maps: Types of themes available such as graduated color or symbol, dot density, or individual value with procedures to generate.
- GIS Outputs: Produce presentation quality maps using map templates and layouts with elements of the title, legend, neatline, and logos.
- Geodatabases: Create a personal geodatabase using ArcCatalog; populate the geodatabase from shapefiles, coverages and databases; join and relate data layers; analyze and display aggregated data from joined tables.
- Importing Spatial and Attribute Data: Import spatial data from a coverage interchange file; define & change map projections; download spatial & attribute data from the US Government's Geospatial One-Stop and the Census Bureau's American Factfinder websites, then import to the GIS.
- Digitize and Edit Spatial Features: Use “heads-up” digitizing tools to create new spatial features of points, lines, and polygons. Edit existing spatial features georeferencing using an aerial photograph as a guide.
- Geocode: Create x,y coordinate point locations based on the interpolation method using a street address database or by polygon method such as zip code.
- Attribute Data Queries and Spatial Processing: Select features by attribute queries; add field and calculate or update field values; clip, dissolve and append layers.
- Spatial Analysis: Query and select by location using spatial relationships of within, contain intersect, etc;buffer spatial features, then spatially query to locate features in the buffer zones.
- Working with Local Datasets: Attendees can download GIS datasets for the Cleveland/Cuyahoga county area which will be used during the workshop and can be used outside of class for future endeavors.
This workshop is open to everyone.
There are no prerequisites for this workshop. No experience with desktop mapping or GIS technology is required, but registrants should know how to use Windows-based software.
CSU’s Levin College offers a local, lower-cost alternative to the similar workshops offered elsewhere. The cost for each participant in the three-day workshop is $495. The following discounts rates are available: CSU Student Rate- $295, CSU Alumni- Rate: $395, Group Rate of 3 or more (from the same organization): $395 (per person).
- Major credit cards accepted.
- If you prefer to receive an invoice and pay via corporate check contact Sharon Bliss (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration information.
- If you are a CSU employee and eligible for staff development funds, enroll for the workshop and select "Staff Dev-Corp Check" for payment type.
Refunds may be requested until the first day of the workshop if not able to attend. There will be a $50 materials charge for any refund.
The Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs offers a wide range of custom designed courses, workshops, and seminars. See the Professional Development Course Listing for this semester's schedule.