College of Sciences and Health Professions

Academic Procedures


General Education Advising – All students are strongly encouraged to consult with an adviser early and often in their academic career. Advising related to the General Education Requirements is available at the College of Sciences and Health Professions Advising Center (MC 218B, 216-687-9321). The Advising Center staff provides a wide range of services including information on college and university graduation requirements, information on academic regulations, evaluation of transfer credit, assistance in planning a course schedule and help in preparing student petitions. Additional useful advising information may be found on the Advising Center website.

Major-Field Advising – Major programs differ in the number and nature of credit hours required. Students should consider their own interests, aptitudes, and professional aspirations in selecting a major. Also, students should pay close attention to university, college, and major-field requirements and plan a schedule to ensure that they do not unnecessarily extend the period of time it takes to complete a degree. Students are expected to consult with faculty advisers within academic departments to discuss the course requirements within a particular major. A list of advising contacts for each department may be found on the Advising Center website.

Return to Procedures Menu | Return to top

Declaring a Major

Any student in good academic standing is eligible to declare a major in the College of Sciences and Health Professions. All students should declare a major as soon as possible after admission to the university and must declare a major by the end of their second year (or before the completion of 60 credit hours). By declaring a major early, students will have more opportunities to work with faculty members and to participate in the research or creative activities of their academic department. Students who declare a major are also able to take advantage of the Degree Audit feature in CampusNet, which provides a preliminary evaluation of a student’s progress toward a degree.

To declare or change a major (or minor), please contact the College of Sciences and Health Professions Advising Center. Through CampusNet, students may also use the “Ask a Question” feature in Degree Audit to initiate the declaration or change of major process.

Return to Procedures Menu | Return to top

Evening Majors

The College of Sciences and Health Professions offers all programs in the daytime.  Several departments also offer courses for evening students to complete a major, including: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Psychology. Additionally, most other departments also offer evening courses, although these departments do not offer all the courses required for a major. Requirements for these majors, which are the same as those of the daytime majors, can be found under the heading of each individual department. A student should consult with the major-field adviser to determine the pattern and frequency of offerings of evening courses. In addition, regular meetings with the adviser should be held to discuss course selections, prepare a timetable for completing degree requirements, and receive advising on educational and career goals.

Return to Procedures Menu | Return to top