The Professional Writing Certificate program is designed to enhance the credentials of students who are preparing for careers in corporate, professional or technical writing, public relations, advertising, or for other careers in which writing plays an important role. The curriculum includes courses in graphics and design, editing, and other aspects of textual production, as well as in various genres of writing. While the Professional Writing Certificate is offered as an all-elective program, students are advised to select a curriculum that represents more than one aspect of textual production.
Students may earn the Professional Writing Certificate as part of their baccalaureate degree program, or they may add it to their credentials if they already have a baccalaureate degree. The Professional Writing Certificate is not awarded to persons who do not have a baccalaureate degree.
Admission to the Professional Writing Certificate Program
The Professional Writing Certificate program is open to all Cleveland State University undergraduates and graduate students, as well as Cleveland State alumni and students and alumni at other colleges and universities. Students must be enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program, or already have a baccalaureate degree, in order to be eligible for a Professional Writing Certificate.
Some of the courses in the Professional Writing Certificate program have specific course requirements. Students desiring to take these courses as part of the certificate program must, therefore, take the prerequisites, in addition to the 20 credits required for the certificate. See the English Department office staff for the complete description of this certificate program.
To confirm that requirements for the Professional Writing Certificate have been met and to arrange for the certification to appear on student transcript, please contact the department secretary at 216-687-3951.
Twenty credit hours, from at least three departments, selected from the following list:
- ART 242 Introduction to Typographic Principles and Design
- ART 244 Introduction to Macintosh
- COM 225 Media Writing
- COM 326 Advanced Reporting
- COM 328 Specialized Writing
- COM 357 Principles of Public Relations
- COM 361 Advertising Copywriting and Layout Design
- COM 405 Electronic Journalism
- COM 425 Editing and Graphics
- COM 490 Internship in Communication
- ENG 201 Intermediate Expository Writing
- ENG 301 Advanced Expository Writing
- ENG 302 Rhetoric of the Law
- ENG 303 Creative Writing
- ENG 307 Style
- ENG 309 Writing Center Practicum
- ENG 310 Traditional Grammar
- ENG 361 Classical Rhetoric
- ENG 397 Portfolio Preparation
- ENG 490 Professional Internship
- UST 403 Cartography and Graphics
- UST 410 Proposal Writing and Program Evaluation