On October 25, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) hosted the seventh seminar in its Recent Alumni Series by Kaitlin Vandemark (BS, Physics Honors/BA, Communications, 2013).
Kaitlin was a member of SPS from 2009 to 2013, serving as Vice President from 2010 to 2012 and President from 2012-2013. She participated in undergraduate research in Dr. Streletzy’s laboratory and was a member of the Student Government Association, Choose Ohio First Success in Math, and CSU Honors Program.
In her final year at CSU, Kairlin earned a co-op opportunity with ABB, one of the largest engineering companies in the world with approximately 150,000 employees in over 100 countries. Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, ABB operates mainly in robotics and automation technology. After graduation, she was offered a full time position as Proposal Engineer in the Industrial Automation Power Generation market. She currently holds a position of Key Account Manager.
Kaitlin’s presentation detailed her career path with advice for students looking to enter the industry after graduation.
Launched in 2015, this is the seventh SPS seminar of the Recent Alumni Series. Previous seminars included:
- Mar 2018: Prasenjit Bose (BS Honors Physics and Math 2012; PhD Physics from John Hopkins 2018; currently Research Associate at INTEL in Portland OR)
- Nov 2017: Vinnie LaSalvia (BA Physics 2009; currently photovoltaics engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, CO)
- Mar 2017: Marie Blatnik (BS Honors Physics and EE, 2015; currently PhD candidate in Physics at Caltech in Pasadena, CA)
- Apr 2016: Joseph Glaser (BS Honors and Math, 2014; currently PhD candidate in Astrophysics at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA)
- Nov 2015: Krista Freeman (BS Honors Physics 2011; PhD Physics Carnegie Mellon 2017; currently postdoc at University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA)
- Sep 2015: Achille Nicoletti (BS Honors Physics and EE 2011; PhD EE from Ecole Polytechnic Federale de Lausanne 2017; currently research fellow at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland)
For more information and the schedule of SPS seminars, please visit https://www.csuohio.edu/sciences/physics/sps-schedule-events